Author Topic: Web Shield  (Read 12287 times)

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Web Shield
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 01:03:21 PM »
Hi, thanks to the replys, i am still having to turn off web shield and the only firewall i have is windows. if i turn the web shield on then i cant use the internet. does anyone have any other ideas thanks. ???

Do you have any previous antivirus(es) before/alongside avast..? Moreover, did this happen right after avast was installed or suddenly occured for sometime that avast is already installed for at least a day..?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:04:53 PM by .: L' arc :. »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

readtugwell

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »
hi, this has just happend, i cant understand why, the only thing i have done is update the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, it updated to 12.2.0.11 version (if this helps).  After i did this it all went wrong.i have taken off avast and reinstalled it but this has not helped.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 01:40:01 PM »
It may be a good idea to address the question above. I've heard of weird things happening some time after an old AV was replaced with Avast.
So, what were you using a year (+) ago?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

readtugwell

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »
A year ago i had norton, it slowed down my Laptop so i changed to avast. Norton has been taken off my Laptop, so not really sure how this would effect things, this has only happened since i updated Intel(R) Pro/wireless. :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 03:11:33 PM »
1) Remove NAV or Norton 360 through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.
The best things in life are free.

readtugwell

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 03:16:41 PM »
Hi, this has already been done, I still cant use the web shield and have to have it turned off. i have tried reinstalling avast with no luck.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »
Hi, this has already been done, I still cant use the web shield and have to have it turned off. i have tried reinstalling avast with no luck.

Do you have any firewall (s)..?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 03:29:15 PM by .: L' arc :. »
avast! 9 RC1

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »
One of Russian-speaking users experiences slowdown in Firefox 3.5 during Web Shield work. He installed Avast four years ago and his previous antivirus was NOD32. His firewall is ZoneAlarm. What could I suggest him to do?
May the FOSS be with you!

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »
One of Russian-speaking users experiences slowdown in Firefox 3.5 during Web Shield work. He installed Avast four years ago and his previous antivirus was NOD32. His firewall is ZoneAlarm. What could I suggest him to do?

Avast + Zone Alarm needs to be configured well before everything runs smoothly.

avast!.com
avast! 9 RC1

readtugwell

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 06:37:47 PM »
the only fire wall i have is windows

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »

Avast + Zone Alarm needs to be configured well before everything runs smoothly.

avast!.com
The user's problem is solved. He turned WebShield off, updated the database and turned WebShield on. Now he has no problem with internet connections.
May the FOSS be with you!

readtugwell

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »
Hi all, has anyone got any ideas to why i cant run web shield.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »
Can you activate logging in WebShield?
0. (Disable avast self-defense module: Program settings > Troubleshooting tab of settings.)
1. Edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini file with Notepad (or use step 0 with other text editors).
2. Find the section [WebScanner]
3. Add the line:
    EnableLogging=1
4. Restart Web Shield in XP\Vista (terminate and start again) or whole PC in case of Win98
5. Browse (trying to access some webpages)

The log file are <avast>\data\log\ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws.
They would be accessible when WebShield is terminated again.
Post them here or send by mail to rypacek (at) asw.cz
After that, disable the logging to avoid a big log file.

Oh, enable the self-defense module again after that if you have to follow step 0.
The best things in life are free.

pato

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »
I have lost the Avast icon in the systray.  I cannot find how to restore it for automatic t updates. Any ideas?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »
I have lost the Avast icon in the systray.  I cannot find how to restore it for automatic t updates. Any ideas?

Hello Pato,

Please could you start another topic as your problem is unrelated to the original poster's and this will cause confusion.

-Scott-