Author Topic: delay avast start  (Read 10659 times)

Anderson2

delay avast start
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:42:20 PM »
I am running Avast 4.8 home edition in Windows XP SP3.
On boot up there is a delay as Avast tries to access the internet but cannot do so because my Zone Alarm has not yet loaded (I think).  Once the ZA icon appears in the taskbar, then Avast succeeds in accessing the internet and getting the latest update.

This delay is annoying and not necessary.  I can wait a couple of minutes before getting the latest Avast updates.  Is there a way to delay Avast accessing the email for 5 minutes or so after bootup?

Thanks.

spg SCOTT

Re: delay avast start
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:02:44 PM »
Hello Anderson2,

-You can delay the startup of avast through the settings:

Right click avast icon--> click settings --> click troubleshooting --> click delay loading of avast...

-You can also edit the avast INI file to set a time to wait before checking for updates:

One thing that I do is delay the update check (not a gui function) using the avast4.ini file, I have set that at 10 minutes after connection as this allows me to quickly go online download emails or something quick without avast checking for updates.

You need to edit (using notepad) the [InetWD] section of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini file and add the following line (depending on your connection type enter one or other of the Bold lines below):
Dial-up connections, add this line: RASWaitSeconds=300
[InetWD]
RASWaitSeconds=300
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to five minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 600, etc.

Hope this helps,

-Scott-

Anderson2

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 07:48:20 PM »
Thank you very much for replying. I have broadband access not dialup

I opened my ini file in notebook. Found it already had the following entry:

[InetWD]
UseRAS=0
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=240

Does the "AssumeAlwaysConnected" line defeat the next line?

I tried to change the 240 to something higher but when I tried to save it I was told the file was locked and could not be saved.

**Anyway, maybe I am barking up the wrong tree or going after the wrong culprit.  What happens is that the Avast icon keeps spinning after bootup which causes the delay before the Zone Alarm and other icons appear on the taskbar and the bootup can proceed.  Could it be that the delay problem is because Avast is "checking" my very large HD (rather than that it is downloading updates)?  If so, maybe I should disable or delay that Avast HD file check on bootup.  I am not sure what is causing the delay but I know the Avast icon keeps spinning for a while on bootup and that seems to slow things from proceeding.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:41:35 PM »
I tried to change the 240 to something higher but when I tried to save it I was told the file was locked and could not be saved.
To temporarily disable the avast self defense module:
1. Right click the 'a' blue icon on system tray.
2. Programs settings > Troubleshooting (tab)
3. Disable self defense module
4. Make the changes. Save the file.
5. Enable the module again.

**Anyway, maybe I am barking up the wrong tree or going after the wrong culprit.  What happens is that the Avast icon keeps spinning after bootup which causes the delay before the Zone Alarm and other icons appear on the taskbar and the bootup can proceed.  Could it be that the delay problem is because Avast is "checking" my very large HD (rather than that it is downloading updates)?  If so, maybe I should disable or delay that Avast HD file check on bootup.  I am not sure what is causing the delay but I know the Avast icon keeps spinning for a while on bootup and that seems to slow things from proceeding.
The delay is caused not because the update process but avast is scanning the files being loaded. It's a stressed moment of the computer, so you need some patience. My boot/logon time is not short either...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:46:09 PM »
No all it does is say you are always connected (the connection method), the wait line is just how long to wait before checking for updates.

The avast self-defence module will protect the avast4.ini file, if you did as suggested, 'use notepad' you would have been able to modify it and when trying to save asked if it was OK by the self defence.

If you did use notepad but still get that int may be permissions, e.g. trying to edit from a limited user account and not an account with admin privileges.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »
Hello Anderson2,

Thank you very much for replying. I have broadband access not dialup

Sorry, I forgot that DavidR is still in the stone ages (yes DavidR, I know ;)) and that I needed to change the instructions.

I opened my ini file in notebook. Found it already had the following entry:

[InetWD]
UseRAS=0
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=240

Does the "AssumeAlwaysConnected" line defeat the next line?

The line "AssumeAlwaysConnected=1" refers to the setting in the 'update - connections' section:
'My computer is permanently connected to the internet'

When you changed it and clicked save, you would have been prompted by the avast, self defense module (see image) to allow this. When you click yes it should be allowed and then saved.

-Scott-

EDIT:DavidR was quicker, and I forgot the image  ::)
EDIT2:and Tech was even faster...man I'm blind  :P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:57:31 PM by spg SCOTT »

Anderson2

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 10:14:38 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help.
Actually (a small lie ....) I was using Notepad2 which is my default editor for txt files instead of Notepad because of Notepad2's greater capabilities.  When using Notepad2 the Avast popup option to permit modifing the ini or not does not appear.  So I just tried to edit the ini with Windows' Notepad and now the Avast option popup appears when I try to save. Interesting.

Since Avast was installed and on board before the shut down, it would seem that it does not really "need" to rescan the files being loaded at bootup.  Is there therefore an option to prevent avast scanning the files being loaded at bootup?

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 10:27:23 PM »
Actually (a small lie ....) I was using Notepad2 which is my default editor for txt files instead of Notepad because of Notepad2's greater capabilities.  When using Notepad2 the Avast popup option to permit modifing the ini or not does not appear.  So I just tried to edit the ini with Windows' Notepad and now the Avast option popup appears when I try to save. Interesting.
Yes, avast is programed to interact with Notepad this way.

Since Avast was installed and on board before the shut down, it would seem that it does not really "need" to rescan the files being loaded at bootup.
This is not true for several infections. Besides the problem to define when the "time of boot" ends... 4 minutes, 5 minutes?

Is there therefore an option to prevent avast scanning the files being loaded at bootup?
Since avast! version 4.7.807 the Standard Shield has a feature called do not scan system libraries (by default on) that dramatically decrease the number of files scanned during computer boot.
If I remember correctly, this option will be dropped on avast 5.

I will suggest you try Startup Delayer.
This freeware controls the windows startup (Windows 98\Me\2k\XP\Vista) that does not follow a strict order.

Anderson2

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:48:18 AM »
Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »
Thank you.
You're welcome. Does that help you?

Anderson2

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 05:05:22 PM »
Yes.  I will try it.

thug4real

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 08:31:26 PM »
Hello! If I set"  avast delaying service to other services charging system  ", has any effect on computer security?Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »
The delay is very minimal we aren't talking many seconds here but a very short time and may mean something loads before avast. The delay is only waiting for windows system services not all and sundry services, so again the delay shouldn't be a serious security issue.

That is why delaying the loading avast services isn't something to do unless you have a specific problem that can't be resolved any other way. The fact that there is a loading issue, that in itself could effect avast's loading anyway, which could have the same impact allowing something else to load.

So it isn't an option to play with unless there is a specific problem and then I would say you should only do it if it is suggested by one of the Alwil team or the more senior avast forums members.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 10:13:14 PM »
Hello! If I set"  avast delaying service to other services charging system  ", has any effect on computer security?Thanks!
Shortly, not.

thug4real

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 09:18:15 AM »