Author Topic: What is 5t34my.bat??  (Read 5716 times)

virus_go_away

What is 5t34my.bat??
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:12:52 AM »
After a considerable infection with a trojan(over 14 files infected) I noticed a file that starts at start-up named 5t34my.bat. I know it's from the internet because Windows asks me if I want to run it. I press Cancel but the program still starts. The tricky part is that avast! didn't detect anything, as I have performed the memory scan( when avast! starts) and a boot-time scan. I googled it, and found no results so I was wondering if someone knows what it is. I wanted to send it for analysis but as avast! doesn't recognize a virus I don't know how...

spg SCOTT

Re: What is 5t34my.bat??
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »
To send it to alwil you could:

Send it in a password protected archive to virus(at)avast(dot)com, advising of the password in the body of the email.
You could also add some info about what goes on with the file.

or

Right click avast icon --> start avast antivirus --> click on virus chest --> navigate to user files -->add files to chest

From there you can send the file to alwil for further investigation

You could also upload the file to www.virustotal.com

virus_go_away

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:11:13 PM »
Thanks for the prompt response. I will try your method and post the result in a later edit of this post.

Later edit: I think I'll have to live with that pest. I couldn't find the file neither with search of browsing there C:/Users/Dante/Local files(Didn't even find this folder), so I decided to just open msconfig and disable it from starting, as well as the three copies of "calc". Thanks anyway for your help and support as I really appreciate it.

Edit2: By the way I didn't notice any unusual behviour so I think it's just a file thatgot lost somehow(???).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:43:48 PM by virus_go_away »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:28:12 PM »
I somehow doubt virustotal or avast would find anything in a .bat (text) file.

Using notepad open the file (don't double click as that will run it) and view the contents, you can copy and paste them into the topic. A batch file will have run commands for a number of files and it is these files that are the payload and these that should be scanned by avast and uploaded to virustotal.

Check the offending/suspect file/s listed in the batch file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this if you sent the file to the security of the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »

Using notepad open the file (don't double click as that will run it) and view the contents, you can copy and paste them into the topic. A batch file will have run commands for a number of files and it is these files that are the payload and these that should be scanned by avast and uploaded to virustotal.

I didn't know that...well you learn something new everyday
Thanks for the correction DavidR :)

-Scott-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »
No problem, unless there is some specific code in the .bat file (which I don't know if it would run) there is nothing malicious in the file, so effectively nothing to detect.

Though in theory .dat files are text files and avast on occasion detects these as infected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

virus_go_away

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:38:30 AM »
Okay, okay, okay... So the file is not a virus, but what does it do. It's a misplaced file or something? Because none of my programs created it, if they would windows wouldn't have asked me if i wanna run it. And the tricky part is that I can't seem to find it. The entry in msconfig says that it's located in "C:\Users\Dante\Local Settings\Temp\5t34my.bat" and it seems to have vanished. The point is, Is it possible that one of my programs is infected with some sort of new virus, undetectable, that used this file as... I don't know, as an "infecting scout" or that a program created it for it to work properly? Because besides start-up the file seems it doesn't exist...

Kido

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 09:56:30 AM »
you can try to upload it in www.virustotal.com to cross-check whether it is a virus or not

i think it might be temporary file of something you ran in the computer

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 02:55:03 PM »
I have told you what it does and asked that you post the contents of the .bat file in the topic.

Check the offending/suspect file/s listed in the batch file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page.

If however it is no longer there then there is little you can do in the way of further investigation.

The file however could be hidden.
- Ensure that you have hidden files and folders enabled and disable hide system files in Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, Hidden files and folders, uncheck Hide extensions for known file types, etc. see image.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 02:59:50 PM by DavidR »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 02:57:14 PM »
you can try to upload it in www.virustotal.com to cross-check whether it is a virus or not

i think it might be temporary file of something you ran in the computer

'virus_go_away' has already been given the virustotal link with that suggestion, but as I said I would find it highly likely that it would find nothing in a .bat file.

<snip>

virus_go_away

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
Umm... I don't think someone can understand something like this "‹ã~KVÿþ¥ÄIA¡˜ÜIVäk#°pÞ›éZ’>ìeJ⸝ñŠ6~GÑD¾UÜ O`%¦à{‘é"... It's all over in the file... Not even a comprehensible word... I strongly doubt it can do something...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 10:34:13 PM »
Then it is unlikely that it is a batch (.bat), text file as that would be plain language text. It is possible that the file type doesn't match the file content as anyone can change the file type of a file.

So as has been suggested you can upload it to virustotal and see what results that brings.

virus_go_away

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 10:17:19 AM »
Ok, nevermind the question just reinstalled Windows and everything is just fine  ;D. I didn't care for the C drive because I could always delete and reformat partitition but I cared for D and E drive because I could lome my games, my movies, my music so... Anyway thank you all for your help and support.

cinchez

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »
Glad u did the decision of ur heart^^

-AnimeLover^^