Author Topic: win32:rootkit-gen. files unable to move/del/repair  (Read 4685 times)

daiw

win32:rootkit-gen. files unable to move/del/repair
« on: July 21, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »
As you will no doubt relaise from this, my knowledge of computers is appallingly bad, so my apologies in advance for unneccesary info or anything unclear.

I can no longer use mine, as i have constant pop up of malware detected that will not go away.
i run avast home normally, and ran a thorough scan when the problem appeared.

It brought up 5 files listed as infected, but only automatically moved 2 to the chest.

for the others it comes up:
Name: C:\Users\Administrator\App data\...\[Embedded_l#07a78]
Result: Infection:Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk]
Operation: Error occurred during file deletion

I have tried manually deleting/ moving/ repairing but it comes up error each time

it also keeps linking to AntiVirus system Pro and asking for $49.95.

It has also come up with a box that says
attacked from 210.31.57.85 port 16024
attacked port 57604
threat Win32/nuyel.E

Any help in getting these files removed  and getting my computer working would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

dai.

cinchez

Re: win32:rootkit-gen. files unable to move/del/repair
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 03:19:01 PM »
AntiVirus system Pro for $49.95?
That sounds like a rogue program!^^

Try downloading Malwarebytes Anti-malware(www.malwarebytes.org) from a different PC and install it using a USB or any other media devices^^

Post back the results for further analysis^^(done by avast! evangelists^^)

-AnimeLover^^

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 03:25:56 PM »
Hello daiw,

I agree with addict. Along with malwarebytes, you can also use superantispyware.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:08:41 PM by nmb »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 04:15:37 PM »
Hello Dai
Sorry about cross-posting - sending in anyway.

Sounds like you have made some progress cleaning your hard disk of malware, but still have a way to go. For a similar sort of problem a few days ago, I downloaded and ran the Sophos anti-rootkit ( http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.html ) for a good outcome. So I would suggest that you do the same. Certainly wont hurt.

Sophos shows suspect files inside the scanner and you need to click the files to get more information, and really follow directions from Sophos so you get good grasp of all the details. Sophos will either recommend or rate or something like that so you can make informed choice at cleanup time.
Also download mbam and run that through your system to see whether that helps in the cleanup.
( http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/tech/ ).

Turn off System Restore for your next scan. Try a boot-time scan ( http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46521.msg394260#msg394260 ). Not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

Sometimes the trouble is files or objects that wont budge. (Not necessarily virus by now). But once they're sorted, often deleted anyway if they not absolute needed or wanted, the cleanup is quickly accomplished. Then its time to tidy up the drives, disk cleanup, defragment, and so on.

And then most importantly is time to work out a layered defense. You can find  a lot of good information in the forum to help you with this crucial final task(s). You will need to spend some time searching and reading. And always keep in mind that an  ounce of prevention is worth a pound of repair when it comes to smooth running of PC systems.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:29:52 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

daiw

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »
Cheers for the suggestions,

have loaded and run Malwarebyte, picked up 5 problems and seemed happy to get rid of them. now have nothing popping up, and  it's all behaving as normal. will run avast again to see if anything is picked up, but looks good.

Thanks again.
Dai.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 07:14:40 PM »
It is always advisable to post the MBAM log as this gives us an idea what the problem was and if there might be other things to do.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 11:43:14 PM »
+1 Agree with DavidR

post mbam logs so that you can have expert analysis of current computer status.

also HjT logs can serve same purpose. Always worthwhile to post HjT log.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:46:17 AM »
Sounds like the worst might be over (subject to the perusing of log/s).
Just a tip for the future, although MBAM is good at this type of stuff (which is why it's often recommended here) another trick for any malware that can't be moved is to run a boot scan with Avast.
This scans at boot, and often before some malware can load and "hook" itself in. So might be able to remove stuff that a regualr scan can not.
Appears not to work for all types of malware, but does for some, perhaps a majority.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.