Author Topic: Unique problem, need some help, lost a huge folder =/  (Read 4515 times)

zmn1

Unique problem, need some help, lost a huge folder =/
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:46:25 PM »
Hello everyone, I am running Avast Build Feb2009 4.8.1335 on windows XP, 2 days ago I ran a scan on my computer after some time, I foolishly clicked "delete files" instead of just quarantining because I was completely ignorant as to the problems which could occur, basically a Folder of mine w/ a ton of pics and vids got deleted somehow as a result.  There was probably ~150GB of content in it, when I search for files from within the folder nothing comes up in Windows Search, yet my HD space is still the same and 150GB are not now free.  So next I tried to do a system restore, it ran but said it could not restore, I tried a bunch of points, none worked, I tried to disable Avast Self-Defense Module and do my system restore in safe mode, even that gave the same error, so basically I am in a bit of a conundrum and I do not know what to try next!  If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated!

Z
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 05:53:45 PM by zmn1 »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Unique problem, need some help, lost a huge folder =/
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:21:16 PM »
 Try a file/folder recovery software like this one:

RecoverFiles : http://download.cnet.com/Recover-Files/3000-2094_4-10715455.html
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

zmn1

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »
Hmm, it didn't find much, I restored a few seemingly unrelated files to see what happened but it didn't change anything.  I have tried similar programs too and they found lots of stuff but nothing related.  The thing is my HD still shows only ~5GB free even tho the folder which is now gone was 150GB+ (My HD is 600GB) =/

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:32:55 PM »
Hi zmn1

Perhaps unnecessary question, but have you tried the recycle bin?
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

zmn1

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:45:38 AM »
Sorry I don't understand what you mean exactly?  The bin is empty if that is what you mean?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:51:21 AM by zmn1 »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 04:53:49 AM »
Yes that is what I mean. Of course, 150GB too large for recycle bin anyway.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

zmn1

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 05:31:37 AM »
yeah what is so weird is the 150GB folder all the files were in disappeared and yet on my 600GB HD it still says only 5GB free space?

zmn1

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 06:55:56 AM »
ok I found out the problem, I went searching through all my folders to see their file size and I finally found it has been moved somehow into doc and settings!  thanks for your help.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 02:28:58 PM »
 Well, it sure was an odd problem that you chose avast to delete it, yet, it was sent to Documents & Settings?

Probably due to file/folder restoration program you've used.

Congratulations by the way.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 04:21:34 PM »
Well that option isn't a choice in avast, accidental or otherwise. The delete, does what it says on the can, deletes but only single files, interactive requirement of the Home version. If you happened to choose move/rename then it would be in the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\moved folder.

However, avast doesn't move folders only files so the original folder would still exist and only the detected file/s would be gone not those undetected. So this is I fear an unfortunate coincidence that this happened around the time of a scan, it certainly isn't an action that can be chosen in avast.

You don't say what version you are actually using (or I missed it) Home or Pro ?

You don't say what type of scan you were doing (as the boot-time scan has an option to delete multiple files) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zmn1

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 01:34:36 PM »
It is definitely possible/probable it was not avast and just occurred around the same time, I def do not want to blame avast as it's a great program and I will continue to use it and recommend others do the same. (i'm using home, it was a normal scan)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:40:52 PM by zmn1 »

Pedro Hin

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »
Have you tried an application that shows disk consumption by folder? Look for an application like one of these listed below -- they will allow you to drill down to the location where disk space is being consumed, and hopefully find the folder

spacemonger (my favorite, even though it's very clunky looking) hxxp://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php
treesize hxxp://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 03:40:45 PM »
It is definitely possible/probable it was not avast and just occurred around the same time, I def do not want to blame avast as it's a great program and I will continue to use it and recommend others do the same. (i'm using home, it was a normal scan)

Since it was a normal scan it is even less likely as it requires interactive input for each action. Unless you tick the don't Don't show box and click Continue (see image) in which case you would be presented with a list of detected files at the end of the scan. At that point you may be able to take action on all detected files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security