Author Topic: Outlook Express 6 + Avast + wizard : not working?  (Read 4398 times)

lapino

Outlook Express 6 + Avast + wizard : not working?
« on: May 26, 2004, 11:53:28 AM »
Hey,

I noticed that infected email messages came through in OE6, even though I have a freshly installed XP & Avast (only programs installed right now). I tried re-running the "mail wizard" from avast, but this doesn't seem to help

Strange thing is, the information in the avast.ini files seems ok

[MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=in.pandora.be
DefaultSmtpServer=uit.pandora.be
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=1

But the email account settings in OE6 aren't changed (as far as I know, avast should set the pop/smtp servers to 127.0.0.1 and change the user name too right?). Is avast NOT compatible with OE6 to do this and should I fix this manually?

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Outlook Express 6 + Avast + wizard : not working?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 12:01:46 PM »
Yes avast! is compatible 300% with OE6. Everything works just great.

What providers in avast! ON-ACCESS scanner are enabled in your copy of avast ? If you use Outlook Express, then INTERNET MAIL should be the one that is enabled... not OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE... that one is just for MS OUTLOOK (big difference between Outlook and Outlook Express)...

Enable INTERNET MAIL, close Outlook Express (that's very important to do), and re-run your avast! Mail Wizard... everything should be just great.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 12:03:39 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

lapino

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 12:07:21 PM »
tried that a couple times. is it 'normal' that my account settings in OE6 don't seem to be changed (no 127.0.0.1 there...just the correct POP/SMTP servers). the correct providers for avast are running (checked this before posting)

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 12:31:13 PM »
Select manual setup in the wizard and check if your account is displayed at the "E-Mail Account Selection" page.

lapino

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:52:36 PM »
yes, both are displayed fine, but the account settings in OE6 do *not* change (however, I'm note sure this is needed, that's why I ask)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 01:15:28 PM »
Yes, account setting should be and must be changed in Outlook Express...
Incoming and Outgoing (both) server names should be 127.0.0.1, and
your account name should look something like this: yourloginname#in.pandora.be for Incoming mail server, and yourloginname#uit.pandora.be for outgoing mail server...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 01:16:57 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 01:16:20 PM »
Double check if OE is closed - and all message windows too, when running the wizard.

lapino

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 01:35:35 PM »
well,it's fixed now. so thanks a LOT for the help. I *did* close OE6 but I think I was a little too quick in starting up the wizard. So now I closed OE, waited 30secs and then ran the wizard and it's ok now.

thx for the help again.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 03:57:52 PM »
No problem my friend, we are here to help each other... so don't forget to come back sometimes and try to help someone else who may need our help... this forum is all about helping and making new friends... that's why, this forum is THE BEST !!!

Cheers !