Author Topic: A virus was detected but 'disappeared' ?  (Read 3165 times)

aspdHoN

A virus was detected but 'disappeared' ?
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:15:03 AM »
Alright, so my son downloaded some kind of hack program called LOIC/Low Orbit Ion Cannon, as far as I understand it was some sort of DDoS program, but I'm not very in-the-know about these sorts of things. Apparently, the first time he ran it was fine, although he was warned it was an executable file. A day later, the icon changed to the unknown program icon, I'm not sure what it's called, but he said it was a blank page with little icons on it, which I'm pretty sure is the default for programs your computer doesn't know how to run. So, when he tried to run it this time, it was detected as a trojan by avast, but before he could move it to the chest, the icon disappeared and avast couldn't find the file. Now I've received an email confirming that the family Steam account's password was changed, so I assume it's some kind of keylogger and avast's thorough scan hasn't found anything. I have no idea what to do, here. I'm on vista and no one has used Steam in over a month, if that helps.

i'd also like to note before anyone asks, i dont know the exact file name, i wasn't there at the time. if avast has some kind of log that lists these things i dont know how to find it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:28:14 AM by aspdHoN »

cinchez

Re: A virus was detected but 'disappeared' ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 06:35:19 AM »
Ok u could try MBAM (www.malwarebytes.org)^^

It "should" find something nasty^^

-AnimeLover^^

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »
Hi aspdHoN,

<snip>
 it was detected as a trojan by avast, but before he could move it to the chest, the icon disappeared and avast couldn't find the file.
<snip>
i'd also like to note before anyone asks, i dont know the exact file name, i wasn't there at the time. if avast has some kind of log that lists these things i dont know how to find it.

If it was detected by avast!, then it will be in the logs:

Right click avast icon-->click 'Avast log viewer'-->click 'warning' section-->look at the bottom of the log (or click the date time header to bring the most recent to the top)

Or check the source file using notepad C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Warning.log and copy and paste the entry.

-Scott-

John2009

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:48:02 AM »
First of all  your son downloaded software for the purpose of a HIGHLY ILLEGAL  CRIME!  DDOS if you are not aware is an attack on a website which it  causes it to crash