Author Topic: Cannot get Adobe Flash Player 10.x (General Plug-in) installed via Secunia PSI!  (Read 13717 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi forum friends,

Tried to get a download via Secunia PSI for Adobe Flash Player 10.x (General Plug-in) as I installed it in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NFSWF32.dll I still get the message that the update was not installed even after a full scan with Secunia PSI. What did I do wrong? Has the active-X to be activated anew inside IE8, how is that performed?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Hello polonus,

i actually came across this thing before in this topic : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=47335.msg399653#msg399653

i think its a kind of temporary glitch in the secunia's database?. (as also posted in the topic below?)

same thing happened even for firefox 3.5.2 i think. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=47394.0

nmb

normishmael

polonus,
i had the same problem,getting the IE explorer version to install.
After tring several times,I got both instances to stop showing "out of Date" on Secunia.

A day or so latter,i tried to run a vid in Real Player,and received the message:
"to play this content,Flash for Internet explorer is needed"I went to the adobe test page,http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
and the little movie that was supposed to play if Flash was installed,did not.
i have given up,and just yanked real payer and replaced it with VLC player.
My Firefox flash is fine.

Add I now know WHY secunia shows updated,the firefox plugin is updated,and the Ie plugin just does not exist on my system!

Edit: Success! I downloaded the IE version from Filehippo,and it works fine now.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:34:47 PM by normishmael »

Sesame

Hi forum friends,

Tried to get a download via Secunia PSI for Adobe Flash Player 10.x (General Plug-in) as I installed it in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NFSWF32.dll I still get the message that the update was not installed even after a full scan with Secunia PSI. What did I do wrong? Has the active-X to be activated anew inside IE8, how is that performed?

polonus
I used OSI and, unlike FF 3.5.2's case, it successfully identified AFP 10.0.32.18 as shown below.
Adobe Flash Player 10.x is up-to-date. The detected version installed on your system is 10.0.32.18, which either corresponds to or is newer than the latest secure version released by the vendor.

Installed on Your System in:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10c.ocx

Just in case, did you uninstall the previous version of AFP, using the official uninstaller before installing the latest version?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi forum friends,

Finally got it, just downloaded the link using SRWare's Iron, now according to Secunia PSI everything is fine,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Sesame

Hi forum friends,

Finally got it, just downloaded the link using SRWare's Iron, now according to Secunia PSI everything is fine,

polonus
Oops, I noticed that you meant AFP plugin (NFSWF32.dll) rather than AFP active X (Flash10c.ocx).  Since I use portable versions of browsers, my AFP NFSWF32.dlls are in the plugin folders of the corresponding browsers, which are successfully identified by Secunia OSI, instead of the Windows folder.  In any case, glad to see you solved the problem somehow.

Just in case someone has the same problem, I leave the link to the official AFP download page.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
I have two questions.

1) I normally (using Adobe uninstall tool) uninstalled the previous flash player and then installed version 10.0.32.18. After that I ran Secunia and it said that I had a threat: file Flash10b.ocx at C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\. I opened the folder and saw there two files - Flash10b.ocx and Flash10c.ocx. As I understood, the first one belonged to the old version of the player but strangely wasn't removed by the uninstall tool. I manually removed that file and zipped it for safety reasons. Now Secunia says that my flash player is up-to-date. Did I do the right thing?

2) I constantly update flashplayer plug-ins and ActiveX controls but every time Secunia says that I have SWFLASH.OCX at C:\Windows\System32\ that is out-of-date Macromedia Flash Player 5.x (ActiveX Control) but I have the latest version of ActiveX controls (10.0.32.18) installed on my computer. I don't know what to do with this driver. Should I remove it manually as I did with Flash10b.ocx?

PS: I have Windows Vista Home Basic SP2 with Firefox 3.5.2 (default) and Internet Explorer 8 (allowed).
May the FOSS be with you!

Sesame

@George Yves
Flash10b.ocx and SWFLASH.OCX are most likely remaining of the previous version of AFP active X control.  So, what you should have done (for yourself) is to uninstall the previous version of AFP, using the official uninstaller, then, install the latest version of AFP active X control.  It's not late...uninstall any remaining of AFP active X control, using the official uninstaller and install the latest version of AFP active X control.

BTW, if you'd like to use Flash Player on your FF, you need to download Adobe Flash Player plugin from the same site above.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
@Rumpel
Maybe you didn't understand my post.

I do all the necessary moves when I update flash player:
1) I uninstall the previous version of Firefox plug-in and IE ActiveX control with uninstall_flash_player.exe (official uninstalling tool)
2) I download and install the new version of Firefox plug-in (install_flash_player.exe)
3) I download and install the new version of IE ActiveX control (install_flash_player_ax.exe)

Now you can see that I don't break any rules. And I understand it like this: the uninstalling tool doesn't do its work properly.

PS: I have no problems with flash player since I have removed Flash10b.ocx. Should I remove SWFLASH.OCX too?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:24:52 AM by George Yves »

Sesame

@Rumpel
Maybe you didn't understand my post.

I do all the necessary moves when I update flash player:
1) I uninstall the previous version of Firefox plug-in and IE ActiveX control with uninstall_flash_player.exe (official uninstalling tool)
2) I download and install the new version of Firefox plug-in (install_flash_player.exe)
3) I download and install the new version of IE ActiveX control (install_flash_player_ax.exe)

Now you can see that I don't break any rules. And I understand it like this: the uninstalling tool doesn't do its work properly.
You wrote "normally" in your previous post and I presumed that you didn't do it for a while.  Then, in your case, it seems even the official installer hasn't worked properly.

I have no problems with flash player since I have removed Flash10b.ocx. Should I remove SWFLASH.OCX too?
According to this site, SWFLASH.OCX seems to be from a quite old version of Flash and it should be safe (safer) to be removed.  In fact, I don't have such files as SWFLASH.OCX and Flash10b.ocx in my own '%system%\macromed\flash' directory.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
In fact, I don't have such files as SWFLASH.OCX and Flash10b.ocx in my own '%system%\macromed\flash' directory.
I asked about my SWFLASH.OCX because it is not in \macromed\flash folder but in C:\Windows\System32\ directory. I am not sure if it is safe to manually delete files in that folder but I may be wrong.

Sesame

I asked about my SWFLASH.OCX because it is not in \macromed\flash folder but in C:\Windows\System32\ directory. I am not sure if it is safe to manually delete files in that folder but I may be wrong.
I thought it's a mistake.  In fact, I searched the System32 directory for 'SWFLASH.OCX' but I couldn't find the file.  So, probably you don't need it and, if you like, you can do the same thing as what you did with the other file (Backing it up).  There is slight possibility that the file may belong to Shockwave or some other Adobe products since I don't have any other Adobe products on our PCs, though.