Author Topic: Flash disinfector program  (Read 13290 times)

Northeast

Flash disinfector program
« on: August 08, 2009, 04:17:26 PM »
Hi, sorry about asking this stupid question and I'm not trying to be a nob, does anyone know where I can download the USB flash disinfector program, I try to look for it and I can't find it. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Flash disinfector program
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 04:19:46 PM »
Let your USB drive plugged and run Autorun Eater or hxxp://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/Flash_Disinfector.exe Flash Disinfector, allowing them to clean up all drives. They would create hidden folders named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. These folders protect your drives from future infection. After that, reboot your computer.

Edited: investigating why so many scanners give a red light to Flash Disinfector.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 07:58:39 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 04:47:42 PM »
Flash Drive Disinfector
Information and Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs from >here< and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Northeast

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »
Hi guy's, DavidR and Tech, Thanks for your help and I was so stupid as I put this thread in the wrong section where I was suppose to put it in  general section.

Tech that link you gave me for flash disinfector has that link got a virus because I'm at my girlfriend house and I'm trying to help her fix her pc and her virus scan is detecting that link you gave me as a virus. Is that a false positive

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 05:03:21 PM »
You're welcome.

The topic is loosely connected with viruses and worms ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 07:57:25 PM »
Tech that link you gave me for flash disinfector has that link got a virus because I'm at my girlfriend house and I'm trying to help her fix her pc and her virus scan is detecting that link you gave me as a virus. Is that a false positive
Which is her antivirus?
Really weird... I've tested on VirusTotal... I'm a little perplexed...
http://www.virustotal.com/pt/analisis/1357175d260de3ca70b7f824667eda5e381906a25d7bf1277e8622641225ae77-1249733272

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 09:36:34 PM »
Hi Tech,

It is considered as a so-called risktool. That means that if you have installed it yourself it is no risk, but if it comes from third parties or with malcode it is (or could be used as) a hacktool. What more it is a heuristic find and packed with UPs - that why it is flagged by the major av solutions as "not-a-Virus.Hacktool.NirCmd".
Some av solutions to-day are strict here (those with small business anti-malware solutions), because risktools are being frowned upon by system admins and the like (especially if they haven't installed them themselves and they would be run by the user of the work computer). With a hammer one can sculpt and one could ruin alike, with a tool one could protect and one could hack.
I think a good av solution should have a special category for these tools to be used by advanced users and qualified uninstallers and create an easy way to exclude them from getting flagged as those users that knows what they are doing may authorize it,

polonus
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:46:12 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 12:10:03 AM »
I think a good av solution should have a special category for these tools to be used by advanced users and qualified uninstallers and create an easy way to exclude them from getting flagged as those users that knows what they are doing may authorize it,
Thanks Polonus.
On avast 5 we'll have PUP (potential unwanted programs) detection.