here's the first beta of the long-awaited avast antivirus version 5.0. So far, we're only releasing a beta of the Free Antivirus (successor of avast 4.8 Home Edition). The betas of the Professional AV and the Security Suite will follow.How to get it
The installation package can be downloaded from the following location: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.0/setup_av_free.exe
It should be possible to do the installation over existing v4.8, but this feature is still somewhat experimental so my suggestion would be to do a clean install (i.e. remove the current version of avast, reboot, and then do the install of v5 beta).Limitations and bugs
This first beta still has some limitations/bugs/problems. To name the most important ones:
1. it currently doesn't contain the most up-to-date defs. That is, part of the defs are somewhat outdated as we're still making changes to the infrastructure. Hence, it is not recommended to use this beta as a tool to protect your system.
Also, it is probably too early to do any detection tests at this time.
2. the Behavior Shield is not yet fully connected (has very limited functionality at the moment - is just a skeleton, really)
3. the antirootkit component is not connected
4. there is no licensing component in this version; i.e., no registration, no activation... however, there's a hard-wired time bomb that will disable the program in about 2 months (there will be multiple beta refreshes before that happens, and hopefully even the final product)
5. the sounds are missing. We plan to have sounds in the final product (and later betas) but they're not there now.
6. the design will likely change a little bit still... some of the corners will be rounded etc...
7. some of the Web Shield settings are missing
8. some of the Shield settings actually require the Shield to be restarted to become effective (Actions, Alerts, Report file, Packers, ...)
9. the GUI sometimes doesn't get refreshed automatically (i.e. you change something via the tray icon, and the main dialog doesn't update itself to reflect that change)
10. the iNews, Community and Event log pages are just placeholders atm
11. the Scan Result window still needs some changes
12. the built-in program updater doesn't ask for a reboot when it's done (even if it's necessary in order to apply the new update). Also, the update, when initiated from the main UI, may end up in an unexpected state. As an alternative, we recommend using the updater in Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast! Free Antivirus -> Change/Remove -> Update.
13. context-menu scan in Explorer doesn't work.Disclaimer
This is beta software. Use at your own risk.
BTW we plan to have roughly two beta refreshes a week until the program settles little bit. Then roughly one refresh a week.
If you encounter any crashes/bugs/problems or would just like to share your impressions, please start a new thread (don't write to this one as it would soon grow too much).
I think we'll also reopen the Beta subcategory of the forum soon, so this will be the place to write.