Author Topic: avast! multi language  (Read 5209 times)

Unta

avast! multi language
« on: August 25, 2009, 04:46:37 AM »
Hi all,

I have installed and activated avast! Home 4.8 English version. Now I intend to add Chinese Simplified and Malay version also. So what should I do ? Just download both version and run the exe ? Will it crash ?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: avast! multi language
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:14:16 AM »
I don't know about adding languages once avast is installed, but I do know that when you first install, you can select the language that you want to use.

You might just have to uninstall / reinstall using whatever language that you want to use.

I only speak english, however, so I haven't had much experience.  Others may come around with better advise.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Unta

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:34:01 AM »
Hi scythe944,

But I intend to keep this English version as main. Can I keep 3 languages like keeping 3 skins ? Whenever I feel confordable to use certain version then I just switch them like switching skins ?  :)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 11:00:08 AM »
You can install additional languages using a link in the language selection dialog.

However, avast! 4 GUI is Ansi-based. So, while you can switch the languages are you say, it's important that the regional setting of your Windows (in particular, the "Language for non-Unicode programs" option) matches the selected avast! language, otherwise the GUI won't display correctly.

Well... since Malay uses only English characters, as far as I can say... they might work all if you have the "Language for non-Unicode programs" set to Simplified Chinese.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 03:20:15 PM »
But I intend to keep this English version as main. Can I keep 3 languages like keeping 3 skins ? Whenever I feel confordable to use certain version then I just switch them like switching skins ?  :)
Changing the skins won't change the language.
Besides, avast 5 is being released and it won't be skinable.
The best things in life are free.

Unta

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 04:54:09 PM »
Thanks everyone, especially igor. I will add Malay now but need to let go Chinese since switching Windows Language is troublesome.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:58:54 PM »
Try to set the Windows language to Simplified Chinese - it should work for English as well (basically, the difference is in non-English characters - so English should work in any case).

Unta

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 05:39:25 PM »
Yeah igor, I just tried it.

I set my Vista : Regional and Language Options\Administrative\Language for non-Unicode programs and set to Chinese (Simplified, PRC) and now all 3 languages (English, Malay and Chinese Simplified) all work excellent.  :D

Thanks again.