Author Topic: Cannot update,open or delete Avast  (Read 2862 times)

aadamyk

Cannot update,open or delete Avast
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:44:04 PM »
I have the same problem that was recently posted. IE:red circle on avast! a-ball icon in system tray with the error message The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error. I followed the instructions posted for that but nothing worked.
Avast cannot be updated, it can't be removed through Control Panel both in regular and Safe Mode or through the files in the computer and a new avast doesn't install even after downloading and getting the message that it was installed.. It is totally locked up. When I try to remove it through the Control Panel all I get is a ping and that's it.
Operating system Win XP
Version 4.2.7.3
VPS file says: Cannot obtain information.. The system cannot find the file specified.
Basic Hardware Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz 2GB RAM
Internet connection by Cable
Email client Outlook Express
No other security software. It cannot be installed over Avast.
System was trying to update.
Error message :avast:the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.
The operation could not be completed.

What can I do besides a reformat.

Thank you,

Alec

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot update,open or delete Avast
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 11:07:49 PM »
Probably a malware destroyed your avast installation.
Read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:
1. Dr. Web
2. Avira
3. BitDefender
4. Kaspersky
5. F-Secure

After that, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Use (run) the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. It will be good to accept the boot time scanning. Boot.
6. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.