Author Topic: Trying to install on Ubuntu system  (Read 5448 times)

spero44

Trying to install on Ubuntu system
« on: August 26, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »
Hello,
I am trying to install & run from the tar.gz on an Ubuntu Linux system ( 2.6.24-24-generic; i686; hardy heron) and I think I followed the instructions, but the GUI won't run.   It says:  could not launch menu item, failed to execute child process .avastgui.

Also, when I try to run .avastgui from the command line I get:   "No protocol specified"  .    So.. what is wrong here?   Thanks for any assistance!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Trying to install on Ubuntu system
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:54:26 PM »
Why don't you download the .deb file and install it (or run Synaptics)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:07:50 AM »
Hello,
I am trying to install & run from the tar.gz on an Ubuntu Linux system ( 2.6.24-24-generic; i686; hardy heron) and I think I followed the instructions, but the GUI won't run.   It says:  could not launch menu item, failed to execute child process .avastgui.

Also, when I try to run .avastgui from the command line I get:   "No protocol specified"  .    So.. what is wrong here?   Thanks for any assistance!

You should run "avastgui", not .avastgui. It's just a shell wrapper, checking for library availability, setting ld.so variables, and calling the real "avastgui" binary, which lies outside your $PATH.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

spero44

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 05:23:40 PM »
First,

I don't know anything about the .deb file or Synaptics.   But I will try that if I can't get the tar.gz file to work.

Also.. the thing I tried to run was in fact 'avastgui' not '.avastgui'.   The command actually typed was './avastgui' because avastgui was not in my $PATH.   Hence the message as indicated above.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:57:18 PM »
First,

I don't know anything about the .deb file or Synaptics.   But I will try that if I can't get the tar.gz file to work.

Also.. the thing I tried to run was in fact 'avastgui' not '.avastgui'.   The command actually typed was './avastgui' because avastgui was not in my $PATH.   Hence the message as indicated above.

... and that's the problem. the file that should be run is /usr/bin/avastgui (tiny shell wrapper), not the binary itself!
the binary has plenty of dependences, and the shell is a resolver for them (where to use system library and where the one which is bundled with it).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)