Author Topic: Avast Home Edition 4.0 Cannot Manually Updated by windows 98 Second Edition  (Read 2970 times)

alexyeoh_leo85

I got a problem likes this. see belows informations.

avast! updater is already running, that could mean internet connection problem.
If your computer is connected to internet and you are using third-party firewall (not Windows Firewall).
check it process avast.setup has allowed access to internet. If you don't have internet connection, set avast updated to manual. Then try to end process 'avast.setup' using Task Manager and run again.

my computer is O/S is windows 98 Second Edition. manually cannot updated, it display this message when update this "vpsupd" .

How to solve this matter?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
if avast.setup has been allowed outbound access, I can't see why it wouldn't manually update.

Then again, it's been QUITE a while since I've even touched a win98 box.

After allowing avast.setup in the firewall, have you tried to restart the machine?  I see that you stopped the process in the task manager, but that might not be enough after making the change.

Give it a shot and post back.

BTW, have you had another A/V program installed on this macine prior to Avast?  That might cause a problem, but since it's win98, I have no idea!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Please, post the last 300-350 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
The best things in life are free.

alexyeoh_leo85

Re: Avast Home Edition 4.0 Cannot Manually Updated by windows 98 Second Edition
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:47:39 AM »
Please see my attachment.

setup.log

Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Home Edition 4.0 Cannot Manually Updated by windows 98 Second Edition
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:02:44 PM »
The infamous error 0x20000004... could be anything imho.
Please check if the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def is displayed correctly, it should contain [servers] on the first line.

You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder, disabling the avast self-defense module first.

How do you connect to internet, is it ADSL? And do you have other computers with working avast updates using the same connection?

Try to open avast settings - Update (Connections), press Proxy button, and select Direct connection, press OK to confirm. Then try to start iAVS update manually again.
The best things in life are free.