Author Topic: avast! 5 free version name change? Why?  (Read 13800 times)

Gabriel Knight

avast! 5 free version name change? Why?
« on: August 31, 2009, 01:35:51 PM »
For 21 years the free version of avast!  was known as "avast! x.x Home Edition" why rip the home edition out of avast! and name it like all the lame free AVs?

avast! was pretty original for many years because of it's detection efficiency and low resources using, and it's DVD interface looking GUI (witch kinda sucked having an AV that looks like a DVD player but i guess it worked for back then)

My point is you should have left the name of the free version "Home Edition" not avast! Free Antivirus, it sounds as bad and unreliable like AVG Free and Avira AntiVir Free. Whoever would have looked for a free AV they only needed to write it on google, or go on avast.com, it's not that complicated, not even for newbies.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! 5 free version name change? Why?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
The name changing is due to search engines (look for free antivirus, not home antivirus).
It's an old scheme, as well Professional version (that would change to Premium afik).
The best things in life are free.

cinchez

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:44:37 PM »
There is no such thing as constant in this world, even in the cyberworld.^^ Change is always present^^

Its ok, since only the name changes, not its efficiency, accuracy and power at fighting malware^^

Although i like the "home edition" name, but what can I do?^^ Only one choice, that is to accept it^^

-AnimeLover^^

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
I would have to agree with the OP as changing the actual name of the antivirus doesn't necessarily equate to better search results, if that is the true purpose of the name change. What does improve search result placement is search engine optimisation of avasts web pages and the promotional blurb that is given to the various software download sites.

So I did a google search for 'free antivirus' (without the quotes) and avast was third and forth after you know who (see image). It is quite some way ahead of the various download sites as it seems to give priority placement to the vendors site.

So whilst it is still called avast Home Edition and getting third in the rankings, changing the name wouldn't seem to be able to bring any huge gain in search placement when there are only two places above it to try and gain.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mouniernetwork

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 04:12:31 PM »
I would have to agree with the OP as changing the actual name of the antivirus doesn't necessarily equate to better search results, if that is the true purpose of the name change. What does improve search result placement is search engine optimisation of avasts web pages and the promotional blurb that is given to the various software download sites.

So I did a google search for 'free antivirus' (without the quotes) and avast was third and forth after you know who (see image). It is quite some way ahead of the various download sites as it seems to give priority placement to the vendors site.

So whilst it is still called avast Home Edition and getting third in the rankings, changing the name wouldn't seem to be able to bring any huge gain in search placement when there are only two places above it to try and gain.

If I remember correctly Vince or Vlk explained that it was to clarify the role of this version and expand and clarify that home users shouldn't be absolutly getting this version and that a paid version may be more appropriate for them and maybe even getting the idea that by choosing this product you will be getting a free product of high quality but still a free product.
Then again it's only what I felt when it was explained

Al968

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:34:33 PM »
Well the important bit on my post being highlighted in bold:
Quote from: DavidR
<snip>changing the actual name of the antivirus doesn't necessarily equate to better search results, if that is the true purpose of the name change.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 05:43:56 PM »
If they're so concerned about search, I wish they would do something about a fake Avast (Antivirus 2009) being second on the list when you search for Avast.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 06:11:03 PM »
Hi Marc57,

If they're so concerned about search, I wish they would do something about a fake Avast (Antivirus 2009) being second on the list when you search for Avast.
I'm not sure that ALWIL can do too much about this, besides report it like I have below...

Found this when searching on what to do about that:
http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=16162

I have reported it using the first link in step 2, giving the relevant search info and a link to your post.
I suppose if enough people report it, it may get removed...

-Scott-

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 06:18:54 PM »
Thanks Scott, I reported it also.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 06:50:31 PM »
No problem :)

Now lets see what they do about it...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 09:01:54 PM »
I can't believe... a sponsored link ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:23 PM »
Sponsored links have been used by this sort of thing and malware for some time now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »
Sponsored links have been used by this sort of thing and malware for some time now.
Shame on Google. They must have a way to prevent that.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 12:35:33 AM »
Avast 5 Free Home Edition and You get all inside ;)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 01:00:32 AM »
No problem :)

Now lets see what they do about it...

It seems to be fixed now, Let's see how long it lasts.