Author Topic: AVAST ICON IN TRAY NOT ROTATING  (Read 4018 times)

chrisC79

AVAST ICON IN TRAY NOT ROTATING
« on: September 03, 2009, 02:00:01 PM »
Hi, I am new to the forums but have been running Avast since July 1st and have found it to be excellent.  Today, though, I noticed that the little blue icon is not rotating as it did before today.  The system says all providers are running - is it still checking my mails?  Any advice please to put my mind at rest!!  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AVAST ICON IN TRAY NOT ROTATING
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 02:05:28 PM »
To see if avast! is scanning emails, check one of these points:

1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?

2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS XXXXXX-X, XX/XX/2009), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)

3) Are clean notes added at the bottom of the email? (Internet Mail provider settings)

You can test the security of your email system here: http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

To see the Standard Shield and other protection:
1) Right click the icon once and see what are the 'last scanned files'...
2) Use eicar virus test.

Do you have any other antivirus in this computer? Had in the past?
The best things in life are free.

chrisC79

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:12:59 PM »
To see if avast! is scanning emails, check one of these points:

1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?  Yes, the blue one with the "a" on it is in the system tray.
2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS XXXXXX-X, XX/XX/2009), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)  I can't find this!!

3) Are clean notes added at the bottom of the email? (Internet Mail provider settings)

You can test the security of your email system here: http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

To see the Standard Shield and other protection:
1) Right click the icon once and see what are the 'last scanned files'...  "I don't get this option when I right click on an email?"
2) Use eicar virus test.

Do you have any other antivirus in this computer? Had in the past?  I used to have CA E-Trust but it is disabled.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »
1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?  Yes, the blue one with the "a" on it is in the system tray.
It's the special icon, not the 'a' blue one. You can set Internet Mail provider and Outlook plugin to shown an icon while scanning mail.

2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS XXXXXX-X, XX/XX/2009), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)  I can't find this!!
Right click the email and choose Properties, or Headers, depend on your email program. Which is it?

Do you have any other antivirus in this computer? Had in the past?  I used to have CA E-Trust but it is disabled.
Oh oh... disable is not enough, you need to fully uninstall it. Two antivirus at a time will conflict.

chrisC79

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:49:17 PM »
OK - thank you!!  I use Outlook for email but have totally uninstalled CA ETrust, re-booted my machine and the little icon is now spinning as it should!!

;D

thanks!!

greyshade

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 02:57:45 PM »
It's the special icon, not the 'a' blue one. You can set Internet Mail provider and Outlook plugin to shown an icon while scanning mail.

I use Gmail and i have not seen the special avast icon in the system tray. Can Gmail  be configured too?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:02:57 PM »
I use Gmail and i have not seen the special avast icon in the system tray. Can Gmail  be configured too?
Since SSL/TLS e-mail is encrypted and decrypted in the client, external virus scanners (including avast!) can't read or scan it.
The solution is to pass e-mail in and out un-encrypted from your client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, ...) to a proxy program (Stunnel) that does the actual ssl or tls encryption/decryption of the pop3/smtp e-mail and communicates directly with the ISP server on the appropriate ports. Download here: http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html
Take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.

If I were you, I'll wait for avast 5 that will scan protected mail.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:27:19 PM »
- Please start a New Topic of your own as this seems unrelated to the original subject and will just confuse the topic and we will try to help.  
- Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the avast! 4.x Home/Pro forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.

You don't say what your email program is or whether you view your email through your browser ?

So you can answer those questions in your new topic if you need any additional information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security