Author Topic: explorer.exe  (Read 3149 times)

BrokeIt

explorer.exe
« on: September 06, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Hello, the other day after opening my folder with music in it, I opened task manager and saw 2 instances of explorer.exe running, my first thought was there should only be one but when i closed my folder the second one went away. I tried opening the music folder again but the second explorer.exe wouldn't come back up. Actually, I checked periodically for the next couple days and I didn't see it again until today when I pressed the "located file on disk" option for a song, then when that opened the music folder the second explorer.exe process came up with it. I also scanned my computer after noticing this and they all came up clean,and I havent noticed any other apparent problems with anything. I am running windows vista basic and the "Launch folder windows as a seperate process" is NOT checked. There only seemed to be one explorer.exe file in the Windows folder and it hasn't recently been modified or anything, both instances took me to this same file. So, I'm just looking for some clarification to put me at ease about this, and I was wondering why only looking for my music by pressing "locate on disk" would bring this up, any insight is appriciated, thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: explorer.exe
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:21:11 PM »
Process Explorer (http://www.sysinternals.com/) could help you see (in advanced technical ways although) which is using the process.
I have more than one explorer.exe process due to "Launch folder windows as a seperate process" IS checked for me. I think it's more stable.
The best things in life are free.

Saty

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 05:34:55 PM »
not sure if this helps or not...but i agree with the stability that tech mentions

I too have windows  basic, with IE8, and when i first turn on the laptop without connecting to the internet i have one instance of explorer.exe.......the moment i go online I get two iexplore.exe, and as I open more tabs, more instances of iexplorer.exe open up...........and as i close the tabs the instances go down.....

i did some research on this when i first noticed this, thinking something is horribly wrong...........and found that its normal, it doesnt necessarly mean something is wrong.............its for stability

when i go to music in the control panel and click on the files  there i have no instances of new iexplorer.exe, which makes sense cause they are downloaded into the harddrive....

so im wonderiing where you music folders are at..........if you have to be online to get to your music  folders  then that might be why you see  the multiple instances in the  task manager.

like I said,, this may or may not help you, just my two cents.

Saty
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:28:40 PM by Saty »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 11:05:39 PM »
not sure if this helps or not...but i agree with the stability that tech mentions

I too have windows  basic, with IE8, and when i first turn on the laptop without connecting to the internet i have one instance of explorer.exe.......the moment i go online I get two iexplore.exe, and as I open more tabs, more instances of iexplorer.exe open up...........and as i close the tabs the instances go down.....

i did some research on this when i first noticed this, thinking something is horribly wrong...........and found that its normal, it doesnt necessarly mean something is wrong.............its for stability

when i go to music in the control panel and click on the files  there i have no instances of new iexplorer.exe, which makes sense cause they are downloaded into the harddrive....

so im wonderiing where you music folders are at..........if you have to be online to get to your music  folders  then that might be why you see  the multiple instances in the  task manager.

like I said,, this may or may not help you, just my two cents.

Saty

Hi Saty,

While you are quite right about IE here, the issue is with explorer.exe, not iexplore.exe

Explorer is what is opened when you click 'My Computer' for instance, and ( I think) it also runs as a sort of container for windows, being used to runs things and also the taskbar etc.

-Scott-

Saty

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 01:38:36 AM »
SPG Scott

thank you for the correction, I guess I was way off base and didnt understand, My apologies to you and Brokeit

Saty