Author Topic: Youtube movie pops up. Avast does not detect any virus.  (Read 7756 times)

Kerfax

Youtube movie pops up. Avast does not detect any virus.
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:26:20 PM »
Hi!

Today I have noticed a weird thing on my computer:
I was playing an online game, when I suddenly got alt-tabbed out of it, to Firefox.
On Firefox, a tab opened with a random movie.

This happened to many people, some of them were not even at home. All of them had one browser up and none of them requested any video from youtube.
Here is the link to what popped up (feel free to delete it if it's somehow dangerous - it's only youtube, though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si0uCx3opq4

Now, Avast did not detect anything on the website or on my computer. I had some viruses, but they were removed as far as Avast states.

the user's name is loshdgei and the issue appeared today. There are some comments, but he keeps deleting them. At this moment, youtube did not ban him... yet.
Any idea why the hell his stupid video keeps popping up every 3 or 4 hours? Is it a virus? Spyware? Is it dangerous? I've run a few tests on my pc, to no avail.
Please, help!

Issue number 2:
A few days ago, when I installed Avast, I was getting alt-tabbed into a Command window that was open for 5 seconds; it was showing some lines of text being run by another program (I presume), then it closed. The window had 2 other copies of itself behind it. Any idea what it was? It went away now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:50:40 PM by Kerfax »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Youtube movie pops up. Avast does not detect any virus.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:04:48 AM »
That is weird. It would seem to me that your browser has been hijacked to open to this particular page when a certain action triggers it.
Please download MBAM, install it, update it, run a quick scan, have it removed anything found. If it prompts for a reboot to remove some files, do so promptly. Post the scan results.

Please download HijackThis (from TrendMicro) - follow the directions on that page to install it - run a scan and save a logfile. Do not delete anything.
Post the results of the scan as an attachment to your next post.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Kerfax

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:13:57 AM »
Downloaded, scanning as I write this.
What is weird is that more people encountered this problem, many of them not even being at their computers.
After I run a scan & log on HJT, do i need to fix anything? or just post the file here?

edit: apparently mwb found some infected files. Avast and two other programs did not find anything (and no, I don't have multiple antivirus programs running, I keep them installed and only one is turned on).
I still don't understand why all the infected files. I don't use P2P software or any other kind of downloader (bittorend, limewire, odc - not found on my pc anymore); I do not downlad anything from the internet (by that I mean movies or music), and I do not visit questionable websites.
Still I can't have a happy and quiet internet life (so to speak).

:(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:20:39 AM by Kerfax »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 12:25:02 AM »
Which files were detected as being infected?
Most probably you can send to MalwareBytes (MBAM) quarantine.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:31:14 AM »
Downloaded, scanning as I write this.
What is weird is that more people encountered this problem, many of them not even being at their computers.
After I run a scan & log on HJT, do i need to fix anything? or just post the file here?

edit: apparently mwb found some infected files. Avast and two other programs did not find anything (and no, I don't have multiple antivirus programs running, I keep them installed and only one is turned on).
I still don't understand why all the infected files. I don't use P2P software or any other kind of downloader (bittorend, limewire, odc - not found on my pc anymore); I do not downlad anything from the internet (by that I mean movies or music), and I do not visit questionable websites.
Still I can't have a happy and quiet internet life (so to speak).

:(

Please post the MBAM scan report.
When you have run HJT, post the report only, do not fix anything, yet. (Unless you know what you are doing.)

Kerfax

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:51:36 AM »
I've attached the log files from MB and HJT.

Running on vista home premium 32bit.
At startup, I ran a full MB scan, after a while it was unresponsive; windows task bar also unresponsive; had to reset pc.

I'm seriously thinking of a full hdd format, and getting win xp. It's the ultimate solution, but at least I know it might clear my pc :p

Thank you all very much for your help.

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 01:02:50 AM »
Can you run malwarebytes again and this time remove all the infected item found by malwarebytes.
Reboot and post a new hijack this log
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Kerfax

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 01:16:17 AM »
oopsie, my bad. I had already removed the infected items shown in MB log and after that I run HJT. So the hjt log was clean, I suspect.

Ran MB again, full scan, found nothing. If that youtube video pops again, I'll let you know. I hope my logs have helped the community in some way, providing info or smth.
Again, thanks :)

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 02:34:38 AM »
Vista SP1 has been available since April 15, 2008 and SP2 is avaliable now.

SP1:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb738089.aspx

SP2:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948465

Go to Start then enter windows update then Change settings then select Install updates automatically (recommended) or at least Check for updates but do not download them nor install them.

Run Secunia Online Software Inspector to see what applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 11:42:50 AM »
I've only had time to have a quick look at the HjT log, but I would be very inclined to remove the ask toolbar, often considered as adware.
How many other AV's are installed? I see at least one entry for McAfee, you've made reference to AVG.
Only one AV should be installed, whether it is active or not.
Ask here for the uninstallers (special tools) to remove the other AV's.

Can you please locate the file "Hosts" in your folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and open it with notepad, copy and paste the results.
You may have to show hidden and system files under folder options to locate/view this.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »
Running HijackThis from the Desktop must make for a very cluttered Desktop:
C:\Users\Filip\Desktop\ADDONS\HijackThis.exe

It should be in its normal install folder:
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis

Kerfax

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 12:01:12 PM »
Thanks, I will do so in a few hours, right now I have some work to do.
About Windows Vista, I will not turn auto updates on for one good reason: last time I did so, Windows updated during the night; in the morning I found my PC stuck on stage 3/3 0% - something that happened to many other people running Windows Vista on Dell XPS (notebooks). I was able to run safe mode, but I had to reinstall windows in order to use the pc normally.

Ask toolbar - I have to freaking idea how that got there, or why is it still installed, after I tried so many times to remove it.

Other AV that I had installed, or still have, but keep them 'offline' so they won't have problems with each other:
Kaspersky, BitDefender, McAffee, TrendMicro  (unfortunately, I do not have this one anymore because the person who installed it 'forgot' the email and password used to register the license).

One more thing: After I cleaned the pc yesterday with MBAM, I left the computer disconnected from internet, but I did not shut it down. This morning I found it resetting itself every 15 min and running Startup Repair.

Once I remove other AV and clean my pc again, I'll let you know the results and maybe post some logs.

YoKenny, I only downloaded the executable, not the installer for HJT. Should I install it? And it's on the desktop indeed, but that's because of faster access, my desktop is quite clean, I assure you :P

Cheers!

edit: ok, I don't know what happened, but after I removed Ask toolbar, Firefox is loading pages instantly. Not a big improvement, it only took 5 seconds max, but even with cookies, history & everything else cleaned, it still goes in less than 1 second ^^

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:11:12 PM by Kerfax »

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »
Read about Ask.com toolbar products:
http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?s=432f559cdb8ecfcb87a9fbc180e256f8&act=calendar&cal_id=1&code=showevent&event_id=44516

Have HijackThis install to its folder or all items removed with it will have the backups stored on the Desktop.

There was an issue with Dell but it has been fixed so the users of Dell systems like to take extra precautions updating their systems:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Laptop-Problems-2010/2008/1/update-problem.htm

Dell update problems Results 1 - 10 of about 35,800,000:
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=dell+update+problems&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »
Please do install HjT correctly, using the installer.
It should normally be installed to its own program files folder,as indicated by YoKenny.

Re uninstalling the Ask toolbar, did you close all browsers before uninstalling it? Have a look at these FAQ's which may help troubleshoot the issue.

What do you mean by
Other AV that I had installed, or still have, but keep them 'offline'
?
Does this mean they are activex controls for online scanners, or actual installed AV's? If the latter, and they are all actually installed, then, even if disabled, the interference will be creating all kinds of problems. Must uninstall them. You can hang on to their installers, just make very sure only one is installed at a time.

You can have demand scanners, such as MBAM, Spybot, etc installed alongside Avast, even the DrWebCureit ( a standalone executable AV) but not another installed AV.

hello123

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »
Maybe you should try Superantispyware:
http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-10523889.html?tag=mncol

Update it then run full scan.
Quarantine all it finds.