Author Topic: Could my blue screens be caused by Avast?  (Read 8720 times)

J0N

Could my blue screens be caused by Avast?
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »
I've been getting blue screens at random intervals (approximately 3 times a day). Trying to isolate the problem (assuming it's a driver or software problem) I have been stopping services to see if it makes a difference. I stopped avast (via My Computer-Manage) and haven't had a blue screen now for 2 days. Has anybody else seen this?  Could Avast be causing the blue screens?  My memory tests ok. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Jon

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Could my blue screens be caused by Avast?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:24:44 PM »
Well, first question: do you have any resident protection programs (like antimalware, other antivirus) or avast is the only one program in your pc? If you had any other antivirus before avast, have you removed it properly?

J0N

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »
Apart from Defender, nothing else has ever been installed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »
Please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.
There is also C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file.
Better if you can compress (zip) them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)
If this file does not exist, enable the avast service again and "force" the BSOD to happen.

Upload the zip file to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming

You can also disable Automatic Restart and then copy the error number and the message:
System Properties > Advanced > [Startup and Recovery]Settings
Remove the checkmark from "Automatically Restart" in the System Failure section.

Besides Google also you can use:
MS knowledgebase: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
Free memory tester (Run it overnight): http://www.memtest86.com/
XP error explanations: http://www.xptuneup.com/xptuneup_stopmessages.htm
BSODs: http://www.techmetica.com/howto/descriptions-and-fixes-of-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-crash-errors/
The best things in life are free.

J0N

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:51:51 PM »
Thanks for your assistance. Zip file is now on its way to ftp server.  :)
Jon

J0N

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »
My system is still stable (25 September) without the Avast service running. As I haven't heard anything further in this thread in response to my sending the crash-dumps, my assumption is that Avast has indeed been the cause of my system instability over the past 16 months (a big headache) and I will now be removing it from my system.

Anybody else had this problem, my Avast (home version) was installed when my PC was first built?

Jon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »
Unfortunately it isn't as simple as that, if there happens to be a conflict, removing one element of that means there is no conflict, but it doesn't confirm the process at fault.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

J0N

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 06:23:32 PM »
Not quite how I'm seeing it. Something (driver/program) is accessing a protected area of memory - as described on the BSOD. The only conflict seems to be between driver and memory and I believe I have been able to remove the conflict by removing the potential culprit.

J0N

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »
Thanks Tech. After uploading my crash dumps I thought I might get some further advice from you!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 05:47:41 PM »
Thanks Tech. After uploading my crash dumps I thought I might get some further advice from you!!
For me it will be impossible. I don't know anything about dumps.
Maybe Vlk himself could help.
The best things in life are free.

J0N

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 06:03:59 PM »
Ok. So someone having problems sends minidumps for analysis and includes the link to the originating thread (as requested).
But what's the point if nobody follows it up?

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 06:15:46 PM »
upload the dump files to mediafire.com and post the sharing link here. let me see.

nmb

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »
sorry, but upload only the recent one. the file is too large for me. only the minidump is enough. not the full dump. please. the file size file will be in KB.

nmb

J0N