Author Topic: Ubuntu LiveCD + Avast, to save a Windows computer.  (Read 26777 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Ubuntu LiveCD + Avast, to save a Windows computer.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 05:44:53 PM »
and a user can also make one himself (I meant rpm or debian installed)
I'm an user without much Linux knowledge.
I wish they do it for me ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 11:05:30 AM »
and a user can also make one himself (I meant rpm or debian installed)
I'm an user without much Linux knowledge.
I wish they do it for me ;)

avast! sell a rescue disc (Windows based) so I doubt we'll see them release a Linux disc with anti-virus, as it would undermine their own product.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 09:01:30 PM »
avast! sell a rescue disc (Windows based) so I doubt we'll see them release a Linux disc with anti-virus, as it would undermine their own product.
BART CD is undermined itself. Too expensive. Can be replaced by other scanners on CD and other bootable disks.
The best things in life are free.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 12:48:55 PM »
Hallo, it is possible, why not? Just place avast's library and binaries in the right directories (/usr/lib, /usr/bin, /etc) and that's all. The (BFU-friendly:) process of live-cd re-mastering usually consists of normal installation, adding packages, and then, compressing the whole thing to particular filesystem (usually squashfs, cramfs or compressed loop-device)...
Sorry, I was thinking about Windows version in a live CD. My fault.
Why don't you implement a bootable CD with avast for Linux then?

I'll tell you why: because Linux Distro packagers are so damned sure that:
1 Linux is not vulnerable ... (to most viruses affecting Windows I admit it's probably true)
remains about 50 viruses all in all that could affect Linux but are rarely met.

2 people dual-booting with Windows are not worth the integration of Avast in a distro...forgetting at the same time that an USB win32 formatted can be infected in Linux and infect your system when you reboot into Windows.
The Linux guys don't care. That's why they won't ever integrate an anti-virus on any live cd or any sort of Linux setup. It's a shame but it's like that. This said, they don't mind allowing Linux accessing NTFS partitions  ;D

I have made one some time ago, but there's very low interest in such things (because, who would need it, is usually able to install avast in his own live-cd, it's the same as on any other linux. well, to have it on the cd directly needs a bit o re-mastering, but it involves just copying files to the ISO image, nothing more).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)