Author Topic: Ubuntu LiveCD + Avast, to save a Windows computer.  (Read 26809 times)

Turriano

Ubuntu LiveCD + Avast, to save a Windows computer.
« on: October 03, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »
Hello friends. First, I write from Spain and I apologize for my English "Google":-S
I am currently working on a cultural center and computers (with Windows) are largely abused. I am interested especially one to which the virus which is currently being damaged by viruses and can not uninstall it, nor can I enter the computer "fail safe" or otherwise, in addition to numerous problems, too numerous here relate.
Lately I've been using Avast, it is the only one who has never failed me and so I thought to prepare an Ubuntu LiveCD, with a version of Avast, with updated virus base and from there, trying to save the computer. Could Do, How?.
Thank you very much and greetings to all. :)

Hola amigos. Primero, escribo desde españa y pido disculpas por mi inglés "De Google" :-S
Estoy trabajando actualmente en un centro cultural y los ordenadores (tienen Windows) están bastante maltratados. Me interesa sobre todo uno, al que el antivirus que tiene actualmente está estropeado por los virus y ni puedo desinstalarlo, ni puedo entrar en el ordenador "a prueba de fallos" ni de cualquier otra forma, además de múltiples problemas, que sería largo aquí relatar.
Ultimamente he estado usando Avast, pues es el único que nunca me ha fallado y por eso he pensado en preparar un "Ubuntu LiveCD", con una versión de Avast, con base de virus actualizada y desde ahí, tratar de salvar el ordenador. ¿Se podría hacer?, ¿Cómo?.
Muchas gracias a todos y saludos. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Ubuntu LiveCD + Avast, to save a Windows computer.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 08:40:34 PM »
No se puede hacer un LiveCD con avast.
avast precisa ser instalado en Windows o Linux (disco duro).

It's not possible to make a LiveCD with avast.
avast requires to be installed in Windows or Linux (hard disk).

You could use a rescue CD. Read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:
1. Dr. Web
2. Avira
3. BitDefender
4. Kaspersky
5. F-Secure
The best things in life are free.

Turriano

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 03:58:06 AM »
Thanks!. I found it very useful.

¡Gracias!. Me ha resultado muy útil. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 12:06:30 AM »
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:57:37 AM »
No se puede hacer un LiveCD con avast.
avast precisa ser instalado en Windows o Linux (disco duro).

It's not possible to make a LiveCD with avast.
avast requires to be installed in Windows or Linux (hard disk).

You could use a rescue CD. Read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:
1. Dr. Web
2. Avira
3. BitDefender
4. Kaspersky
5. F-Secure

Hallo, it is possible, why not? Just place avast's library and binaries in the right directories (/usr/lib, /usr/bin, /etc) and that's all. The (BFU-friendly:) process of live-cd re-mastering usually consists of normal installation, adding packages, and then, compressing the whole thing to particular filesystem (usually squashfs, cramfs or compressed loop-device)...

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

NiveusLuna

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 06:20:38 PM »
Isn't the point of a LiveCD to test out the distro? that would include testing its software repos, right? Don't most LiveCDs have a ramdisk that you can install stuff to? It won't be saved after rebooting, but if you have the memory it might work.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 06:32:56 PM »
you can install anything you want from a live CD, as long as no reboot is required of course...so AvastLinux can be installed from a LiveCD  ;) just need to have the rpm/debian on a USB or a partition on a hard disk. ...
 on a side note, anything installed from the live CD (online repos or else) will be taken into account and installed to disk with the rest of the distro.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »
Hallo, it is possible, why not? Just place avast's library and binaries in the right directories (/usr/lib, /usr/bin, /etc) and that's all. The (BFU-friendly:) process of live-cd re-mastering usually consists of normal installation, adding packages, and then, compressing the whole thing to particular filesystem (usually squashfs, cramfs or compressed loop-device)...
Sorry, I was thinking about Windows version in a live CD. My fault.
Why don't you implement a bootable CD with avast for Linux then?

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »
Sorry, I was thinking about Windows version in a live CD. My fault.
Why don't you implement a bootable CD with avast for Linux then?

I'll tell you why: because Linux Distro packagers are so damned sure that:
1 Linux is not vulnerable ... (to most viruses affecting Windows I admit it's probably true)
remains about 50 viruses all in all that could affect Linux but are rarely met.

2 people dual-booting with Windows are not worth the integration of Avast in a distro...forgetting at the same time that an USB win32 formatted can be infected in Linux and infect your system when you reboot into Windows.
The Linux guys don't care. That's why they won't ever integrate an anti-virus on any live cd or any sort of Linux setup. It's a shame but it's like that. This said, they don't mind allowing Linux accessing NTFS partitions  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »
But I'm talking about avast releasing that bootable CD.
They could choose a distro and make it so.
Right now, we suggest 3rd party competitors bootable CDs.

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 05:22:46 PM »
But I'm talking about avast releasing that bootable CD.
They could choose a distro and make it so.
Right now, we suggest 3rd party competitors bootable CDs.

ok so as said a user can do that himself. Mklive CD for instance does that. You just got to have an already installed distro (on hard disk) with Avast installed, launch the process, and you get an iso with everything currently installed in it, ready for a custom setup (ie different from default). But if it's just for avast, it's faster to download it or copy it from a live CD session and install it. The thing is I'm not sure you're talking about the Linux version of avast. If you mean a bootable CD with the Windows version, Linux cannot be used obviously (or with Wine may be...not sure at all). So the Live CD solution can be forgotten.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 05:27:19 PM »
If you mean a bootable CD with the Windows version
They already has it. BART CD. But a very expensive tool.

So the Live CD solution can be forgotten.
No, not at all. They have the Windows version. They could develop a live Linux CD one, don't you think? It's prebooting, so it can be used to scan NTFS and EXT (or other Linux) partitions.

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 05:33:53 PM »
So the Live CD solution can be forgotten.
No, not at all. They have the Windows version. They could develop a live Linux CD one, don't you think? It's prebooting, so it can be used to scan NTFS and EXT (or other Linux) partitions.

you can't have a Linux live cd with a Windows version Avast on it, how ? By Windows version I mean a "setup.exe"...or avast.exe whatever  ??? The avast version compiled for Linux and packaged as a debian or a rpm is another story, this one can be on a live cd.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
you can't have a Linux live cd with a Windows version Avast on it, how ?
I'm never say that. I want a Linux live CD with the avast for Linux.

The avast version compiled for Linux and packaged as a debian or a rpm is another story, this one can be on a live cd.
I don't want to "install" avast for Linux in a live Linux CD.
I want it preinstalled, like the other CDs I've posted on reply #1, ready for use, updated.

Hermite15

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
you can't have a Linux live cd with a Windows version Avast on it, how ?
I'm never say that. I want a Linux live CD with the avast for Linux.

The avast version compiled for Linux and packaged as a debian or a rpm is another story, this one can be on a live cd.
I don't want to "install" avast for Linux in a live Linux CD.
I want it preinstalled, like the other CDs I've posted on reply #1, ready for use, updated.

OK then so this is absolutely doable, and a user can also make one himself (I meant rpm or debian installed)