Author Topic: My scan freezes  (Read 4111 times)

pomaski

My scan freezes
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:45:53 AM »
Hi, when i try to scan my local units it freezes at a file and don't move on. The same thing happens when i try to scan just that folder with the file in it. Why is that and what should i do?

YoKenny

Re: My scan freezes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 12:55:58 AM »
Welcome  pomaski

What is your operating system and Service Pack level?

The system specifications are needed as the CPU type and speed with amount of RAM installed.

pomaski

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 01:01:32 AM »
I have avast home edition 4.8 and windows xp.
Im sorry but i dont know where i can check my cpu type and speed. Were do I do that? I have 2gb ram istalled.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 01:03:36 AM »
Windows XP SP2 or SP3 ???

pomaski

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 01:05:56 AM »
where do i check that?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:07:06 AM »
My computer > Properties
The best things in life are free.

pomaski

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:10:35 AM »
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
Amd Athlon(tm) 64 processor
3500+
2.21 Ghz 2 H`GB RAM
PAE (Physical Address Extension)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 01:11:20 AM »
SP3 is avaible please update your Windows !!! ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 01:11:54 AM »
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximately at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). They would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that they could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt

If during an avast! scan,
1. avast! freezes or crashes, it's probably avast! problem.
2. The computer freezes or restarts, it could be e.g. a conflict with some other program, or a hardware problem.
3. The computer powers down - it's probably a hardware problem (e.g. overheating). The scan generates a lot of hard disk activity (and is also CPU intensive), which may increase the temperature of your hardware. I suggest to check the coolers in the case.
4. If you get a blue screen, it could have a bug in avast! drivers (but then, there is not a power down).

Do you use ZoneAlarm?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38353.msg321609#msg321609

diverj1

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 05:53:23 AM »
I have had the same problem. Apparently, v4.8 is defective. Everything on my system had slowed to a crawl. Programs would take up to 10 minutes to open. I noticed that Avast had stopped. When I clicked on the blue ball, I got a message that said "AAVM Subsystem detected a APC error." I could not even uninstall Avast. The mouse cursor moved and the hard drive was spinning. I had to do a Windows XP repair. Fortunately, I had partitioned my hard drive so there was no data loss.

When I got everything running again, I downloaded Avast 4.8 and tried to install it. It froze on installation and everything slowed down again. I had to do a hard shutdown of my system. When I rebooted, I deleted the Avast setup file, and now everything is running fine. I recommend that you uninstall Avast 4.8 and wait until the publisher fixes the software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »
I have had the same problem. Apparently, v4.8 is defective. Everything on my system had slowed to a crawl. Programs would take up to 10 minutes to open. I noticed that Avast had stopped. When I clicked on the blue ball, I got a message that said "AAVM Subsystem detected a APC error." I could not even uninstall Avast. The mouse cursor moved and the hard drive was spinning. I had to do a Windows XP repair. Fortunately, I had partitioned my hard drive so there was no data loss.

When I got everything running again, I downloaded Avast 4.8 and tried to install it. It froze on installation and everything slowed down again. I had to do a hard shutdown of my system. When I rebooted, I deleted the Avast setup file, and now everything is running fine. I recommend that you uninstall Avast 4.8 and wait until the publisher fixes the software.
This is generally due to another antivirus installation?
Which is your "other" antivirus? How did you uninstall it?
Any other security program that could interfere?