Author Topic: EU prepares to settle Microsoft browser case  (Read 3708 times)

YoKenny

EU prepares to settle Microsoft browser case
« on: October 07, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
EU prepares to settle Microsoft browser case

By AOIFE WHITE
The Associated Press
Wednesday, October 7, 2009; 9:19 AM

BRUSSELS -- European Union regulators said Wednesday they were preparing to settle a long and costly antitrust battle with Microsoft Corp. with a deal to give Windows users a choice of web browsers. 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/07/AR2009100700562.html?wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: EU prepares to settle Microsoft browser case
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »
I thought this was settled some time ago, the wheels of bureaucracy grind exceedingly slow ;D

Primarily MS were going to remove IE 'completely' from EU versions, Windows 7 [type Home Premium, etc.] (E) indicating no IE. This they found was too difficult because IE is integrated into the OS and its removal would be almost impossible without starting from the ground up (replacing those things displayed by IE integration).

So they came up with the polling idea for a workaround, which I though had already been agreed, other than the Bun Fight of which browsers would be included in the Poll list and in what order ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »
And next the European Union will require Coke to include cans of Pepsi in every case and McDonalds Will have to include items from Burger King and Wendys in their menus.

What a Joke!
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 06:27:11 PM »
Well the last I heard Coke didn't have a monopoly position in its distribution network or the Supermarkets wouldn't be carrying Pepsi or their own brand versions...
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:07:14 AM »
Hi folks,

Remember America also has a history here. What happened to Westinghouse Electric and Westinghouse  Air Brakes? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Electric_(1886)
The EU has not been splitting up MS in divisons, has it - just adding some browser flaws.
Say that one sells only banana flavored ice. What about those that crave for simple vanilla or strawberry ice? Do they have to import (install) their own favorite flavor?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:39:16 AM »
I like Henry Ford
Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Henry_Ford