Author Topic: no automatic update of the avast! program version  (Read 7845 times)

Offline cska133

no automatic update of the avast! program version
« on: October 13, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
hallo

I noticed that I still have Avast version 4.8.1351 from August but there is a new program version .1356.
My update settings of both virus definitions and program version are set up to automatic.

I already did some tests  - Windows XP Firewall is OFF, ZoneAlarm is set to allow everything from Avast (and at least is should ask me if it detects new in/outbound transfer, so I can not block anything automatically), I removed also evry rules for avast so ZA asked me again and I allowed everything. I also reinstall Avast, even using the uninstall untility + manual removed registry entries. With the default settings of Avast after reinstall there still was not any program version update AND WHAT IS STRANGE I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE GREEN POPUP INFORMING ME ABOUT NEW PROGRAM VERSION (I mean with the default settings where program update is set to ask what to do).

So I dont know what to do anymore ??? :-\
I havent try to force Avast to upgrade by clicking on "update now" beacuse if >I do this I will be no longer able to test the automatic program version update.

Please help
thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: no automatic update of the avast! program version
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:09:57 PM »
The program setting by default is set to Ask so unless you changed that, if you miss the pop-up notification you might miss it.

I certainly wouldn't want to set program updates to auto as that is the last thing I would want whilst working on something else, when it could be a large download (being on dial-up).

Why the auto update didn't work for you I don't know, but it is cycled over 7 days to spread the load on the update servers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cska133

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
The program setting by default is set to Ask so unless you changed that, if you miss the pop-up notification you might miss it.
well if I missed ot it should come again or?
but when?

Why the auto update didn't work for you I don't know, but it is cycled over 7 days to spread the load on the update servers.
what does this mean?

csa/montana

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »
I noticed on my old computer, a notice of an Avast update was almost daily; on my new computer, I rarely see these updates; it is set to automatic.  Anything to be concerned about?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »
I noticed on my old computer, a notice of an Avast update was almost daily; on my new computer, I rarely see these updates; it is set to automatic.  Anything to be concerned about?
Check avast log viewer sections Warning and Notice. Are the automatic updates being logged?
Can you manually update? I mean, is it working?
The best things in life are free.

Offline cska133

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
The program setting by default is set to Ask so unless you changed that, if you miss the pop-up notification you might miss it
but when?

Why the auto update didn't work for you I don't know, but it is cycled over 7 days to spread the load on the update servers
what does this mean?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »
avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds.
If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band.
If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.

The program updates are released but to avoid excessive load on the servers the auto update check happens randomically every 7 days and it's not checking every time you connect to the Internet as with the iAVS checks. Every avast installation has a unique, randomly generated GUID ("general unique identifier") associated with it (it is generated during installation). This ID is random, but fixed. They use this value to determine when the updater pops up on YOUR machine, i.e., the program already knows that the update is there, but it won't tell you until it's your turn. You have to allow the update, i.e., it's not a forced and automatic update. avast starts warning you 3 weeks before it actually expires.

Offline cska133

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:43:26 PM »
what is that again? >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:46:20 PM »
what is that again? >:(

but when?
Next update, next time avast checks for an update as said before...

but it is cycled over 7 days to spread the load on the update servers
what does this mean?
I've answered ::) ::)

pmjg

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »
 :) i also missed my program update,no pop up screen,only found there was an update when i looked in program settings.  

would have thought avast would show a pop up screen say every week or so ?

think avast is  8) keep up the good work.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »
pmjg, are your avast set to automatic update the program or not?

pmjg

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 12:32:54 AM »
pmjg, are your avast set to automatic update the program or not?
Hi avast was set to automatic update,i have now put back to default- notify update.

Offline cska133

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 04:31:57 PM »

The program updates are released but to avoid excessive load on the servers the auto update check happens randomically every 7 days and it's not checking every time you connect to the Internet as with the iAVS checks.
ok, it is more that 7 days and I still have no programm update and no notification about that.

so, what is the problem now?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »
The .1356 is currently not being offered via the popup as there will be one more update soon...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline cska133

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 04:57:30 PM »
aaa that is something new.
And why it can not be installed automaticcly since my update settings were to do so?