Author Topic: Virus Chest Problem  (Read 5234 times)

wagz9

Virus Chest Problem
« on: October 13, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
Running Windows XP, Avast Home version 4.8, file version 091012-0. The message I receive when I try to open my Virus Chest is: "Virus Chest Server is not running - RPC communications failure". Can someone help me correct this? I have been using Avast for 3 years without a problem. I have updated the program and the database regularly. Please excuse me if this is not properly formatted or in the wrong forum as this is my first ever post on a BB.

spg SCOTT

Re: Virus Chest Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:11:28 PM »
Hello wagz9, welcome to the forum :)

First, this is the right forum for you issue ;)

Second, The 'RPC' error is usually attributed to previous antivirus remnants on the pc.

Before avast! which was the antivirus software you used?
How did you remove it?

Even though you have been using avast! for 3 years, it can still happen. I know, it happened to me after about a year...

-Scott-

wagz9

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
Hi Scott, Thanks for the quick reply. This is my 2nd attempt at a reply to you. When I sent the this the first time, it said I was timed out. It has been at least 3+ years since I used Norton. I used the uninstall program to take it off my HD. The Virus Chest worked without problems until last Saturday. I received an "urgent" message about a trojan horse and when I tried to move it into the chest, it wouldn't move. The virus or worm or whatever it was installed a message on my screen saying that someone was trying to get financial data from my PC. It was an attempt to get me to enter my credit card number to purchase anti virus software to stop the threat. I had to use restore to get it off my screen, and I am wondering if the file is still on my PC.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:57:44 PM »
Hi wagz9,

Ok, first, there will most likely be remnants of norton as it is a bit stubborn...

Have a go with the nortorn removal tool:
Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista
or
Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me

Then repair the avast! installation through the control panel.

For the alert, try scanning using avast! and I would also suggest one (or both) of these free - on demand scanners:
Install, update and scan with them:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: www.malwarebytes.org

SUPERAntiSpyware: www.superantispyware.com

-Scott-

wagz9

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:52:41 PM »
Thanks again for the help Scott,
I did everything you suggested, used the Norton removal tool, did a thorough scan, downloaded Superantispyware and ran a scan.(there were 3 registry entries and a ton of tracking cookies it didn't like so I let the program remove them.) Avast found only 2 files it considered a threat but I could not move them to the chest nor remove them. My grandson uses this PC to play online games, almost all of the tracking cookies were in his sign on. I suspect that is where most of my problems are coming from. I'm not sure what you mean by trying to repair through the control panel. I still get the same message when I try to open the chest. I am considering removing Avast! and either upgrading Avast! or purchasing the Superantispywear program. I would only use the chest if Avast! could not delete the suspect files, as was the case here. Since the threat no longer appears in the scan, maybe I should just continue as is. What do you think?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:23:32 AM »
To repair avast!:

Start-->control panel-->add/remove programs -->avast antivirus --> click remove --> scroll down and click repair

The tracking cookies are a very minor issue in relation to superantispyware...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.

I wouldn't delete as a first option, as this can prove potentally bad for the computer, and if it is a palse positive, then you may lose an important file...

wagz9

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the primer on Windows Control Panel Remove/Repair. I had been using a computer for over 25 years until recently retiring. However, all my experience with software, code and usage was with an IBM mainframe and also with some PC-DOS in the late 80's. Now that I am home all day I guess I should learn to use the Windows OS. I did try the repair option in control panel but the problem persists. I appreciate the time and effort you have given to my small problem and I would like to thank you again. I will wait until another attack and if I cannot remove the files and cannot isolate it in the chest, I will consider my options. Thanks again.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 08:48:58 PM »
So the virus chest still gives the RPC error?

Maybe you could try a complete re-install of avast?

For a re-installation of avast!:

VERY IMPORTANT - Do not uninstall avast! yet, follow the instructions

1. Download the most recent version of avast!
Make sure to download the Full setup file, NOT the 'universal installation file'
2. Download the avast! Un-install Utility
3. Disconnect from the net
4. Uninstall avast! through 'add/remove programs'
5. Reboot into safe mode and run the avast! un-install utility
6. Reboot
7. Install the the latest version of avast!
8. Re-connect to the net.

-Scott-

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 12:39:12 AM »
Welcome  wagz9

Former IBMer as well.

I was around when SNA hit the streets and user of LU2 devices that are dumb IBM 3270 display terminals that replaced the the IBM 2260 Display Station hooked up to MVS mainframes running on System 360 Model 65.

I was lucky enough to be in techincal support when IBM released its PC and had access to the first systems in Canada.

wagz9

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 04:06:11 PM »
Hi Scott, Success! Sorry about the delay in responding. It took  awhile for me to complete everything. The only trouble I had was getting the new installation to recognize my license key but everything is working now, including the Chest. I can't thank you enough. Even though it was all your knowledge, I got a real feeling of accomplishment when I finished and everything worked. Thanks again.
 To Yo Kenny, I was more of a user than anything else. When we first went to IBM mainframe, all department managers were required to complete some rudimentary courses so we could communicate with the programmers (tell them exactly what we wanted in our department) and my office staff did the real work. As for the system, the last upgrade I was there for was from the AS400 to the I series 520. Windows seems cumbersome to me but I'm beginning to get it. Thanks Guys.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »
Hi Scott, Success! Sorry about the delay in responding. It took  awhile for me to complete everything. The only trouble I had was getting the new installation to recognize my license key but everything is working now, including the Chest. I can't thank you enough. Even though it was all your knowledge, I got a real feeling of accomplishment when I finished and everything worked. Thanks again.

Glad to hear it is working now, you're very welcome :)

-Scott-