Author Topic: Cannot open specific websites  (Read 2219 times)

vedabyas

Cannot open specific websites
« on: October 15, 2009, 01:35:28 PM »
Hi, actually I don't know if this is the right place to post a technical query like this.

I'm using GPRS connection for internet browsing or sometimes dial-up connection. Yesterday I found that I can't access websites like avast.com/ kaspersky.com or microsoft.com. The message shown is "The page cannot be displayed". Whereas other sites are easily accessible like msn.com google.com.
I checked my internet settings and there is nothing wrong. Please suggest if there is any virus like issues or not. Thanks in advance

Ved
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:37:05 PM by vedabyas »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot open specific websites
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »
I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

Generally, the blocking of reaching antivirus sites are due to infections...
Which is your antivirus? avast?
The best things in life are free.

vedabyas

Re: Cannot open specific websites
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
I used Quick heal earlier. Which also I uninstalled. So lets see if your solution works out.