Author Topic: Question for you Avast gurus.  (Read 4099 times)

Kobra

Question for you Avast gurus.
« on: June 08, 2004, 11:49:49 PM »
When I right-shell extension scan a file, is there a way to configure WHAT it scans?  I want it to scan inside an archive, but i want some measure of control on what it does and doesn't scan.  Is this configurable anywhere?

Regards.

shgoh

Re:Question for you Avast gurus.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 12:14:10 AM »
sorry...i afraid not...ashquick is for quick scanning...not configurable for what to scan...and doesn't scan archives...at least for the home version..

correct me if i'm wrong

Kobra

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 12:56:56 AM »
I've found theres 2 levels of scanning on-demand, or at least two methods.

Go to "My Computer" right click the drive, then selection Scan <drive>.  This method for me is a deepscan that scans all files, including archives.

Second one, is within the Avast enhanced menu, under tasks, then "Scan Local Disks".  this method appears to scan most files, but skip very very large archives.

I'm just wondering if theres a place to configure exactly what it skips, with or without exceptions.  ???

NAMOR

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 01:04:27 AM »
found this in the help for pro version, but I'm not sure if it's what you're talking about.....

Explorer Extension - ashQuick Program

ashQuick program is, just like avast! and ashCmd, a scanner for viruses. It is usually used to scan files from the local context menu, e.g. from Explorer. In other cases, it is better to use avast! or ashCmd.

Setting up the Explorer extension

The Explorer extension settings can be modified directly by editing the "Explorer extension" task. Additional settings can be found directly in the Settings of avast! program.

Note: To be able to edit the "Explorer Extension" task, you have to enable showing the special tasks in the avast! settings (on the "Enhanced interface" page).

Kobra

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 01:28:47 AM »
Thats pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thank you.  :)

I wish I could set it to scan inside ISO's.  In my ISO testing, I found Avast has no ability to scan within ISO's.  It does BINS and everything else fine.  You think they could add this to a requested feature list?

I was able to use this program: http://www.magiciso.com/

To quickly make a few test ISO's, and stash some eicar files within it.  Other scanners DO scan ISO's though if thats something to consider.

Regards.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 01:57:45 AM »
I wish I could set it to scan inside ISO's.  In my ISO testing, I found Avast has no ability to scan within ISO's.  You think they could add this to a requested feature list?
upcoming avast 4.5 will scan inside ISO (maybe also NRG/VCD/BIN) archive
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 01:58:40 AM by pk »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 06:25:15 AM »
Kobra, can you take a look into my FAQ link bellow...
There are answers about ashQuick and sensitivity of avast.  ;)
The best things in life are free.