Author Topic: Update "problem?"  (Read 2111 times)

Avaster

Update "problem?"
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
I just used avast icon right click menu to use the 'Program update' option. It updated to Version 4.8.1356
September 25, 2009.

Why wasnt i notified of that update, even though i have notification option enabled (not automatic updating for the program)?

spg SCOTT

Re: Update "problem?"
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »
Hi Avaster,

This would quite possibly be the reason, I knew I had seen it somewhere...

The .1356 is currently not being offered via the popup as there will be one more update soon...

Thanks
Vlk
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=49724.msg423610#msg423610

-Scott-

Avaster

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:08:27 PM »
Hmm, it has been over a month since that .1356 update. Is that soon, may i ask? I have been "unprotected", well, more or less, for that time? :/

"solved vulnerabilities in AavmKer4.sys, aswMon2.sys and ashWsFtr.dll"

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:15:55 PM »
To be honest, I am not even sure of the circumstances to which that vulnerability did exist, so I not really sure about the impact it had...
That said, the fact that an update was released for it, says that maybe it was an issue...

I am just a user like you, so I am not too sure about the reasoning behind the updates...I would say that *maybe* it is because some people may not like the fact that they have to download updates within a short time...but as said, I don't really know...

Unprotected?
Not sure, depends on the circumstances I suppose...

What I find funny though, is that when no-one knows about it, all is well... ;)
They do say, ignorance is bliss... ;D

Overall, I'd say this would be down to one of the ALWIL team to answer this properly, I was just suggesting a possible reason.

-Scott-

Avaster

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:26:08 PM »
I think it's a bit irresponsible.