Author Topic: avast!, the ability of virus killing is not so strong  (Read 5259 times)

UFO

avast!, the ability of virus killing is not so strong
« on: November 13, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
So many times,avast! can identify the viruses,but it can do nothing to them.i hope avast can do better and better ??? ???

jisuna23

Re: avast!, the ability of virus killing is not so strong
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 03:23:29 PM »
So many times,avast! can identify the viruses,but it can do nothing to them.i hope avast can do better and better ??? ???
it can, just run a boot time scan..

UFO

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »
REALLY?

jisuna23

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 03:29:30 PM »
REALLY?
yes it will definitely detect it, if not, run malwarebytes or superanitspyware for layer of protection.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »
Hi,

My understanding is that, with its warning guards active, Avast prevents what it detects.

Avast protection, with a few additional measures, has certainly been perfect for me.

Cure, I understand, can be significantly more problematic than prevention or detection.

My regards

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 04:17:50 PM »
Avast may also not be able to remove some malware but other softwares can!
I would suggest better be smart not to get any virus!
When you get a virus sometimes it is trouble some!
Mike what do you mean by perfect?

Mike Buxton

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »
Hi,

Perfect means my machine has continued to run well since I started using Avast 18 months ago. The worst I have experienced is about one False Positive every six months.

My regards

antonpaco

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »
you need to keep in mind that any antivirus can cover all and no AV can give you the 100% protection against virus, you must help your AV. To have a good AV does not mean  you can visit all the bad sites, you have to be carefully, always.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 05:42:32 PM »
Better be forearmed,to be forearmed!
But if you already know that this site is bad better no enter to get trouble!

acuariano

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »
what about using sandboxie as another layer of protection?

street_lethal

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Always create backup images. I don't understand how anybody in this day and age can run a system without a good backup solution such as an imaging program. If something goes completely sideways on you such as a virus you can't recover from it takes ten minutes(depends how much stuff you have installed) to reimage from a clean image and be up and running again. You also don't have to worry about any trace of the virus still being there after a reimage. Peace of mind goes a long way. Of course if you have other internal drive(s), external drive(s) and or optical media that has an infection and it keeps hopping to your system drive that's a different story. In that case I would reimage the system drive from a bootable CD, not boot back into the OS, and wipe or clean the offending drive(s) from outside of Windows. Or if you have clean images of the offending non system drive(s) reimage them as well. If it's on a CD/DVD... destroy it as in break it in half and toss the pieces over your shoulder. Then I would boot back into that clean image.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:53:45 PM by street_lethal »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 08:42:53 PM »
If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.
If you have a back-up and recovery plan, you can recover from anything in minutes, not hours or days.

1. back-up all the things that you don't want to lose, data files, like documents, spreadsheets, emails, email account details, registration keys, address book, favourites/bookmarks, downloaded files/programs, etc. the list goes on and on but if you don't want to lose it back it up. There are many back-up programs that can simplify this task and run it every day.

2. Recovery - re-installing your system really is a poor choice and one of last resort. There are tools (Drive Imaging software) that take exact images of your Partitions or Hard Disks and these images can be restored in minutes if you suffer a major catastrophe and that doesn't have to be a virus attack.

I do a weekly image of my partitions and save them to my 2nd hard disk, they can also be saved to off-line storage, DVD, USB external hard disk, etc. as part of my weekly system maintenance.

So if the worst comes to the worst at most I lose:
A. 6 days worth of program updates or new installations, but with my daily back-up I can recover most of that.
B. less than one days data files, emails, etc.
None of these is a problem and much quicker than a system reinstall and I don't have to go on-line to download the myriad of security updates needed to secure my system where there is a chance to get reinfected whilst my system has vulnerabilities because of these missing patches. Not to mention all my system tweaks and program settings are retained and I will have saved myself many hours of work and a huge amount of stress.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

street_lethal

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:16:12 PM »
Amen.

Western Digital and Seagate both offer free versions of True Image now, so there's really no excuse to not have some sort of imaging software installed. By the way I have used the WD True Image version and it works well, you can create bootable media in which you can backup and restore with it to and from USB drives, Firewire drives, network drives, etc..

Yes it's a watered down version of True Image Home but it does everything most people would need it to do.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 04:36:17 PM »
I backup my windows files and other privacy things but what file in our computer is also important?
Tell me if I miss something please!

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 04:55:19 PM »
I backup my windows files and other privacy things but what file in our computer is also important?
Tell me if I miss something please!

Back up keys of software. for eg : avast! home key, if you are using home version.

nmb