Author Topic: Avast keeps blocking exploit attacks after installing COMODO  (Read 4256 times)

viper xeon

Avast keeps blocking exploit attacks after installing COMODO
« on: November 26, 2009, 01:49:54 PM »
I just installed COMODO because I felt I needed a better firewall. Since I have installed it, avast's network shield keeps notifying me of a successful block of DCOM and LSASS exploit attacks.

Shouldn't my firewall be blocking this? How come it isn't?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast keeps blocking exploit attacks after installing COMODO
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 01:52:27 PM »
Depends on who is loaded first - whether avast!, or Comodo.
Or, both the products might be (just guessing) blocking different data.

viper xeon

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »
Well, I haven't made any special changes to Comodo, I though the default options would be enough.

I'm not all that in the know about firewalls and all that, so I don't know if i need to pick certain settings for my firewall.

Anyways, should I be worried about it? Should I get a different firewall?

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »
got avast5 beta2 + CIS (no AV) latest installed and I don't have any issue. Didn't have any issue either when I was running Avast 4 togehter with CIS.

viper xeon

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 02:19:11 PM »
Right, so I just came back from COMODO's website after following a guide from them on how to setup COMODO for maximum defence. The guide told me to "Stealth all ports from everybody." Is this really the best option? It seems to be blocking certain "Svchost.exe" and "Windows operating system" ips. So is it doing it's job or just blocking Windows?

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »
Don't trust Comodo

micky77

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »
Don't trust Comodo

Thanks for that pointless and stupid remark. Comodo is probably the best free firewall available. It takes getting used to. I would definitely have " Stealth all ports from everybody "
I have my firewall set to safe mode, and the defence + too, I wouldn't have paranoid mode. If you use clean pc mode you will have to deal with  the "pending files"
Like I say you will get used to it and the alerts will rapidly deminish. Remember to switch to installation mode when installing known/safe software.

gs2088a

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 01:09:33 AM »
....I wouldn't have paranoid mode.

Actually, within the past week I installed avast and comodo, and I have it set to the paranoid mode.  Now that I've run most of my common applications, and I have them marked as trusted apps, I'm getting far less popup warnings.

Personally, I'd rather be paranoid and have my computer safe.