Author Topic: daily startup taking forever, "freezing", update error messages  (Read 9800 times)

Alicat

daily startup taking forever, "freezing", update error messages
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »
Hi

Been a satisfied user for over a year, never any problems whatsoever, been warned about and protected by Avast from a handful of foiled trojan and virus attacks, nothing suspicious ever showing on weekly scans, recently renewed free home version to get new Registration Key...

But seems like the startup process is taking an extraordinary amount of time every day now, with Avast often appearing completely frozen - forcing me to do hard reboots in order to be able to get past whatever is sticking, load any other programs and be able to use computer. Several times also receiving error messages (I read the sticky thread about not having enough memory - which has been one alert I'm regularly getting - but the explanation - as well as the fact that it is six months and many updates old - doesn't seem to fit)

Updating always seemed to happen smoothly and seemlessly. Anytime I attempted a manual update, it would say everything was already up-to-date. But several times now I've been getting messages that updates are incomplete or unsuccessful.

Looking at my log, this is what it shows in the Warning section for today and a couple of days ago (edited out time):
11/27/2009    Owner   1900   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000008, dwRes is 00000008.  
11/24/2009    Owner   1816   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x2000000A, dwRes is 2000000A.  
11/24/2009    Owner   1816   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x2000000A, dwRes is 2000000A.  
11/24/2009    SYSTEM   1528   An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs.  
11/24/2009    SYSTEM   1528   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000008, dwRes is 00000008.  

And in the "Info" section of the log, it looks as though there are dozens of this entry every day with the exact same time stamp:
SYSTEM   1416   Info from aswChestS: chestGetValueLoc.  

with a few of these occasionally mixed in:
SYSTEM   1616   Info from aswChestS: chestNextFileLoc.  
SYSTEM   1516   Info from aswChestS: chestStop.  
SYSTEM   1516   Info from aswChestS: chestCloseListLoc.

When I look at the Setup section of the log, it looks like there are literally HUNDREDS of lines every day for the past five days (didn't want to post entire log unless asked). In fact, when I applied a filter now, it showed over 3000 lines just from 11/20 to today (11/27). THAT sure doesn't sound healthy!

Do I need to do a complete uninstall and reinstall?  ??? :'( ???

edited to add that I use Windows XP, and that I just remembered there was a major program update (I think yesterday?) which prompted me to reboot (never had that from Avast before) and I know there was also a Windows update which prompted for a reboot in the past day or so as well
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:05:32 PM by Alicat »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: daily startup taking forever, "freezing", update error messages
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 11:34:52 PM »
Do you use a 3rd party firewall, and if so, which one?

I take it you did reboot following any prompts from Avast (and MS) to do so. If not, there's the likely problem.

This sort of thing can also be caused by malware. Try downloading MBAM (free) from here, install it, update it and run a quick scan. "Remove selected" everything found (which will send it to the MBAM quarantine) and post the scan report, please.

If none of this bears fruit, instructions will follow for a full reinstall, including use of the Uninstall Utility. (Avast has one, too.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Alicat

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 01:22:01 AM »
Thank you for replying...I use Windows Firewall, as well as Spybot Search & Destroy, Windows Defender, and run weekly scans with Super AntiSpyware (which I don't have running in "real time", just launch to update and scan manually) and occasionally run Hijack This and Windows One Live Care just to ensure nothing else is hiding that wasn't picked up by the others.

Again, nothing remotely suspicious picked up by any of them, although every now and then Spybot will let me know that it blocked something nasty. I check its configuration and settings regularly and monitor changes for anything unknown or unwanted..

Yes, rebooted after the prompts, as well as fully shut down at least once every day.

Given all the anti-nasty programs I'm already using, do you really think I would need to download yet another one to run a scan?

Everything else on the computer is running fine, as is Avast once everything finally gets fully loaded. So nothingreally seems to be implying malware but some problem with Avast loading and updating - especially given 800+ setup log entries upon daily startup

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 05:52:55 AM »
It probably isn't malware, then. (MBAM is an excellent demand scanner to have, as is SAS. Sometimes one finds/kills things the other can't, and vice versa. I have no opinion as to which is "better".)

Try modifying the .ini file, located at C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.ini, in accordance with the information contained in This post (part of a very detailed sticky, by Tech.)

I've modified my one to 240, no problems updating, manually or automatically. (That I modified it - long time ago - indicates to me that at some stage I did have some problems.)
The location where this modification takes place is about 23 lines from the bottom of the file, which opens in notepad.

If the times of the error messages you are getting are close to the times you boot up, that is almost certainly going to fix it. (And may well fix it anyway.)

Once the .ini (configuration settings) file is opened, scroll down to the entry concerned. Backspace through the "30" and change it to a new value, say, 240. Close the file, click "yes" to the "save the changes?" prompt, the Avast self defense module will prompt you to OK the change also.

[edit] PS, you may find that the .ini you have seems to have slightly different ordering of values to those listed in the post I referenced (Mine did.) Probably because there have been several program updates since that post was made, not really sure. But you almost certainly will be able to locate the value indicated in about the right place, and change it to good effect.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 05:58:33 AM by Tarq57 »

Alicat

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:14:06 PM »

Try modifying the .ini file, located at C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.ini, in accordance with the information contained in This post (part of a very detailed sticky, by Tech.)

Thank you. I actually tried reading that thread, and had a sinking feeling my problem and solution was in there somewhere, but honestly I really couldn't understand the content well enough to attempt applying anything  ??? ??? I'm afraid I still only comprehend advanced newbie language

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
I'll talk you though it, if you like.
Can you please locate the file, and attach it in your next post, using the "+ Additional options"  link at the lower left of the reply box in this forum.
I'll look at it for you, make the change, and attach the modified version, which you can then apply, or, if you want to be certain I'm not tampering with it, tell you what to write/change.

Alicat

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 12:16:50 AM »
I'll talk you though it, if you like.
Can you please locate the file, and attach it in your next post, using the "+ Additional options"  link at the lower left of the reply box in this forum.
I'll look at it for you, make the change, and attach the modified version, which you can then apply, or, if you want to be certain I'm not tampering with it, tell you what to write/change.

Ah, ok... first lightbulb above my head: the Avast4.ini file is actually basically a text document, in which I can make changes simply by modifying the text (as opposed to delving into a dark, scary registry)

So, from what I described, you reckon it might be a single change which needs to be made? If so, which one and why?
Once a change is made - either by you providing an attachment or me doing it myself - how does it then get "applied"? Do I need to save it or run it in some way?

Not sure if I followed how you identified which/what exactly was the problem. In terms of when exactly the error messages would appear - fully booting up used to take between 5 and 15 minutes (big update). Those messages would come after considerable time had already passed and computer still wasn't fully "awake" (ready to open or run any other programs) and if it didn't appear completely "frozen" in the meantime.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 12:53:42 AM »
Ah, ok... first lightbulb above my head: the Avast4.ini file is actually basically a text document, in which I can make changes simply by modifying the text (as opposed to delving into a dark, scary registry)
Yep. It can be as scary as the registry, if you change the wrong item you could do some damage. Nothing a reinstall wouldn't fix.
But it looks so innocent.
Hint: when changing the ini file, copy the original to a purpose-created folder, so you can easily revert if something wasn't quite right. It would simply be a matter of replacing one ini file with another.
So, from what I described, you reckon it might be a single change which needs to be made? If so, which one and why?
Once a change is made - either by you providing an attachment or me doing it myself - how does it then get "applied"? Do I need to save it or run it in some way?
I have modified your file. (Attached).
Look at it; compare to the original. The change made is:
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=240

below the line "UseRAS=0", maybe 23 lines from the bottom.

When you examine the file I've attached, then go to close it, if you are happy with the change and OK to try it, (you have an original backup attached in you post above) save it as/to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (Don't forget to remove the ".txt" file extension.)
Windows will prompt: Avast4.ini (date) already exists. Replace with this version (date)? Click yes. (If Windows does not make this prompt, the file name and/or location are incorrect, so it's a double-check that you are on track.)The Avast self-defense module will immediately prompt you that a change is being made. OK the change.

Not sure if I followed how you identified which/what exactly was the problem. In terms of when exactly the error messages would appear - fully booting up used to take between 5 and 15 minutes (big update). Those messages would come after considerable time had already passed and computer still wasn't fully "awake" (ready to open or run any other programs) and if it didn't appear completely "frozen" in the meantime.
That's a looong boot up time. What are the system specs? (RAM and CPU)
You might well have too much stuff starting with Windows. Most computers do, unless the users know to prevent programs starting with Windows when they are installed.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 01:00:40 AM »
PS. The change made to the .ini file has one small disadvantage/adverse effect: If virus updates are available (and they often are when booting up) the change made will delay the checking/downloading of them by 4 minutes. Effectively this means that there is a tiny additional risk, in that you are protected by yesterdays' definitions, not todays', for the slight extra time it takes.
This factor is so small it is almost not worth mentioning. But I see you like to know what you're doing and how it works, and also I want to explain any caveats. ;)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:09:33 AM »
PPS: FYI, some settings you can change via the "program settings" menu will also alter the .ini file. Frequency of updating, show result of update, etc.

Alicat

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 01:53:52 AM »
Thank you for all your advice/help. I've spent much of today fighting with er, adjusting to "Windows Live Mail" from Outlook Express, so my brain is seriously fried and probably not the best time to digest and start applying the changes to Avast.

So, is the one change that you added "AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=240"? Where did that come from and why wasn't it there/why should it be there? Still not quite understanding what the "diagnosis" is, so not sure what you reckon might be what needs to be changed in order to fix - since the problem hasn't been just the one error message..

Not sure what all my system specs are offhand, but long ago I made a point of adjusting startup options since too many programs would be trying to load and update simultaneously. That's something I check via Spybot since occasionally a program update will default it back to loading at startup. I don't know the exactly how long the process takes - roughly about the time to put on the coffee and clean three cat litter boxes - but then it would usually be at the stage where I might launch some type of scan before I hop in the shower, with scanning nearly finished by the time I'm done and ready to use computer. Lately it hasn't been ready for anything to be started before the shower, and sometimes even after - at which point I resort to forcing a hard reboot.

Five minutes from powering on to ready to go seemed pretty normal - same amount of time it takes the computers at work (turn on, use restroom, ready by the time I'm back). Again, I haven't had a hint of any problems with any other programs, or at any time once the computer is up and running - only the occasional "virtual memory is running low" message, which is understandable in the context of I accessing 20+ websites, with many simultaneously heavy on the Active X/Java.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 02:25:04 AM »
It isn't there because the default value (not required to be set) is 30 seconds, so the avast4.ini file can be used to adjust default values if there is an issue where configuration may help.

If avast is trying to update as you have a connection that is available before your system is fully booted it could slow the boot as it adds some CPU and RAM load to the normal boot process. By delaying the update check (the Wait bit in the parameter name), it allows the boot to complete before a check is made.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 02:36:33 AM »
Thanks for adding that lucid explanation, DavidR.

Five minutes is not fast, but probably at the top end of the normal range. (Mine takes about 2 or 3, from power on to desktop up/programs loaded. And less than one from logon.)

There were two values I added to the ini; Alwaysconnectedwaitseconds=240 (a value I chose, that gives plkenty of time for everything to boot - 4min- before an update check is made, and "Alwaysassumeconnected=0" which is an indication that the computer is not permanently on and connected to the net.

I got the entries from Techs' sticky, and increased the value from the recommended 60s to 240s. You can set it to pretty much anything you want to. I would think in your case, with a slow bootup, you would not want to go for less than 240. See how it goes. You can always bump it up.

With startups, and programs trying to add themselves, Spybot can help manage this. (If you had entered any Avast entries into the Spybot start control list, that would be bad.)
The preferred option if it is available is to make the changes through the settings/menu/options of whatever program it is, that you don't want starting with windows.
Some programs run as services. (Usually with good reason, and should not be changed. Avast for example.) Those without good reason can have their services disabled/set to manual. Ask if/when you want more info about this whole area. It can be a bit brain frying.

There are many other programs around that can control this, also. Spybot is one. The one built into windows is msconfig.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »
@Alicat

Have a look at Belarc Advisor and it will show you the system specifications:
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

@Tarq57

Msconfig should not be used as a startup manager!  
It is a diagnostic tool and can cause the system to become un-bootable if the wrong things are selected.

WinPatrol has a good startup manager function:
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

You do not indicate what operating system you are using in your signature.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:52:24 AM by YoKenny »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »
Quote from: YoKenny
Msconfig should not be used as a startup manager! 
It is a diagnostic tool and can cause the system to become un-bootable if the wrong things are selected.
If the wrong things are selected. If being the operative word, maybe? For programs that have no internal program options not to start with Windows, I've used it - apparently satisfactorily - for a few years. (Examples are the update checkers on Java,QT and Nero.)
Do you think I should not?