Author Topic: No Win32:Delf-MZG fix for me :-(  (Read 6550 times)

tellme

No Win32:Delf-MZG fix for me :-(
« on: December 03, 2009, 08:48:35 AM »
I'm glad the update is working for so many folks, but I'm still in a bind. I moved one or two items to the chest and started a boot-time scan (after my tray icons temporarily disappeared) before realizing something more irregular than regular was happening. I stopped the scan at 2% but 26 files had already been moved to the chest. Don't know if there are any important files in there and I can't access the chest to find out.

I also have no Avast or iavs icons in the tray to click on, so I couldn't download the update in that way. I tried starting a regular scan, in both safe mode and regular mode, to gain access to the update and the chest. The update didn't work and an "access denied" panel came up when I tried to open the chest. I went online to the Avast site and downloaded the newest fixer update but it could not run. When I was trying to delete the download box, internet and error screens, everything started taking a long time, so I just shut down the machine to wait for more direction from you all.

If I knew what was in the chest could be reinstalled, I'd just uninstall and re-install Avast. But if I did that, whatever is in the chest would be gone as well and I'm concerned I might lose something important to the operation of the comp. So, at the moment I'm still left with a messed up machine I'm afraid will get more messed up if I use it. I'm grateful for the speed in which Avast addressed this problem that has affected so many users, but I'm a little frustrated that I can't share the relief others are experiencing at having the new update do the trick. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: No Win32:Delf-MZG fix for me :-(
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:51:44 AM »
Hi avast user,

just would like to help you, but in deep there will be avast tech guys will support you.

Have you try to repair your avast?
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

tellme

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:25:58 PM »
I would surely love to repair avast but, even if I knew what to do, I can't fix what I can't access. Right now, I'm at the same place I was all through the night. I can't uninstall and reinstall avast because I don't know what is in the chest. I doubt a restore point would work because the bad update is still having its way. Can someone please help me find a way to run the new update and get avast back up in working order?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »
So, the avast! Antivirus service is not running? (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services)

If it's running, can you just open the main avast interface (by clicking the avast icon on the desktop and waiting till the memory scan finishes), then click the Chest icon? Is that where you're getting the Access Denied error?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »
The Chest is the folder <avast4>\Data\Chest. So, if you copy the whole folder somewhere else, you should be able to copy it back after reinstallation (provided you disable avast! self-defense first, and maybe stop its service before - and start afterwards, so that the content of the Chest gets reloaded... or, you may do the whole thing in safe mode).
However, I don't see any reason why avast! should be affected, i.e. I kind of doubt a reinstallation would help.

tellme

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »
So Vlk, now I'm more confused. What am I supposed to do to get the update? and to be able to access avast normally? i.e. access avast via the desk tray, not be denied access to the chest...Help please!

pcs800

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »
As said above, copy the contents fo this folder: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA
and paste them into another folder say on your desktop.
Then reinstall avast, and then copy the files back to that folder at C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA
You should then be able to run avast and access the chest normally.

tellme

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 04:37:29 PM »
Ack, I got confused about who I was responding to - sleep deprivation.

Vlk, yes, I am getting the access denied when I try to access the chest icon. I actually have to access avast from the start up menu or programs listing.

Thanks, igor and pcs for the info about copying the chest info.

Is the general consensus then that I should go ahead with the reinstall, if I can successfully make a chest data copy? If so, do I just create a new folder, place it on the desktop, and then do the chest data cut and paste? I know this is basic, even for a non-techie, but I don't want to mess things up more than they already are. Thanks again for your help and patience.

pcs800

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 05:14:40 PM »

tellme

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 01:00:30 AM »
Ok, I've gotten as far as trying to cut the old chest files in the temp avast folder and paste them into the new chest file, but access is denied. Also, although I was able to reinstall Avast, I still don't have any Avast icons in the tray. What should I do from here? TIA!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:09:10 AM »
Did you not disable the self-defence module as Igor mentioned ?

The Chest is the folder <avast4>\Data\Chest. So, if you copy the whole folder somewhere else, you should be able to copy it back after reinstallation (provided you disable avast! self-defense first, and maybe stop its service before - and start afterwards, so that the content of the Chest gets reloaded... or, you may do the whole thing in safe mode).
<snip>

If not and you don't know how, avast Program Settings, Troubleshooting, and check the disable self-defence option, remember to enable it when you are done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tellme

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 04:46:33 AM »
Thanks, David! Yes, I did forget to disable self-defence. I had clicked on the link pcs provided and followed that tutorial, which didn't include that part. Sorry about that. I should have re-read the previous posts before posting my dilemma.

I was able to do the cut and paste and the old chest files are now in the new chest. Oddly, there are only a handful of what look to be non-essential files there from last night's challenges. Don't know what the 26 files from boot scan were or where they went, as it said they were moved to chest. Things seem up and operational now, although moving kinda sluggishly. So appreciate the guidance from you all!  :)

Now, the only small glitch is the icon not showing up in the tray. I did go on another account and it was in place there, but it is still not appearing in the tray on the admin account. I've checked to make sure they are not hidden and I've gone to ashdisp and tried to run that but nothing happened. I've also tried a repair to no avail. I've checked processes and all seems to be running. In fact, the screen just came up informing me of an update. Not a big deal, in light of getting this other mess fixed, but it is more handy to have it there. Anything else I can try?

tellme

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 04:59:30 AM »
I just remembered that at some point I did a system restore to one day earlier. Would this have negated the missing boot scan file issue?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Thanks, David! Yes, I did forget to disable self-defence. I had clicked on the link pcs provided and followed that tutorial, which didn't include that part. Sorry about that. I should have re-read the previous posts before posting my dilemma.

I was able to do the cut and paste and the old chest files are now in the new chest. Oddly, there are only a handful of what look to be non-essential files there from last night's challenges. Don't know what the 26 files from boot scan were or where they went, as it said they were moved to chest. Things seem up and operational now, although moving kinda sluggishly. So appreciate the guidance from you all!  :)

Now, the only small glitch is the icon not showing up in the tray. I did go on another account and it was in place there, but it is still not appearing in the tray on the admin account. I've checked to make sure they are not hidden and I've gone to ashdisp and tried to run that but nothing happened. I've also tried a repair to no avail. I've checked processes and all seems to be running. In fact, the screen just came up informing me of an update. Not a big deal, in light of getting this other mess fixed, but it is more handy to have it there. Anything else I can try?

You're welcome.
1. Is it possible that you actually didn't send them to the chest but 'moved/renamed' them ?
If so check the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\moved folder they would have been appended with a .vir.

2. avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder. I wouldn't try this as a first option (but a final one) as you won't be able to find the true cause of the problem.

I just remembered that at some point I did a system restore to one day earlier. Would this have negated the missing boot scan file issue?

I honestly don't know, partly because system restore ins't like an exact copy of how your system was before at the point you choose.

Check out this file, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\aswBoot.txt using notepad it will list all detections during the boot-time scan and from that you can check if these files were recovered by going back with system restore.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security