Author Topic: Win XP Pro hangs on reboot (Delf-MZG) fasle positive  (Read 1898 times)

Not Happy today

Win XP Pro hangs on reboot (Delf-MZG) fasle positive
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:06:22 PM »
I was a victim of the December 2nd false Trojan glitch (Win32:Delf-MZG) caused by a bad VPS file (091203-0).  My computer running XP Porfesisonal would not boot past the wallpaper screen after the 'Windows is loading personal settings' splash screen.  He hard drive was working hard but nothing was happening - Avast was probalby identifying a bunch more false torjans.  Many reboot attempts didn't help.

I managed to correct this problem by booting the computer into 'Safe Mode with Networking' (press F8 after the BIOS loads) be usre to select the networking option.  When in Safe Mode, I started Avast and dowloaded the December 3rd revised VPS (091203-1) issued by Avast to fix the false trojan issue.  

Since the Avast Virus Vault was unavailable in Safe mode, after rebooting I re-opened Avast went into the Virus Valut and restored the files that were in the vault due to the false Trojan alerts using instructions from the "Restoiring False Positive File from Virus Chest" article posted on this site.  

Took several hours but computer seems to work fine at this point.  Thanks Avast forum posters,  this is a great program but the hassles were managed with help from the community...!

CharleyO

Re: Win XP Pro hangs on reboot (Delf-MZG) fasle positive
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »

Welcome to the forums.   :)

We are all happy that you were able to resolve the problem in a logical way & without panic.

Please come back often and learn more.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Win XP Pro hangs on reboot (Delf-MZG) fasle positive
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:26:44 AM »

Welcome to the forums.   :)

We are all happy that you were able to resolve the problem in a logical way & without panic.

Please come back often and learn more.

+1  :)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.