Author Topic: Vundo/Virtumonde on a WIN/98 machine.  (Read 1743 times)

Compaq

Vundo/Virtumonde on a WIN/98 machine.
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:14:45 AM »
Hello everybody,

first of all, forgive me for intentionally cross-posting: the only reason I'm doing this is because I don't know whether the issue I'm dealing with is an Avast! issue or strictly a Vundo/Virtumonde issue. Please don't "quarantine" me on my first post...  :'(

My father runs WIN98/SE on his PC, and he got infected with Vundo/Virtumonde (he used to browse with IE... bad thing I know). Yesterday I downloaded, installed and launched the last version of Avast! home (in English). I did set it to the "Thorough" level.

Actually, Avast did find "something" (and by looking to those filenames, for instance, I can bet it's really Vundo) but it could not do anything, because, for every line, it generated an error that I could not find in the  User Manual: Unable to scan: Archive is password protected.

As I said above, I don't know whether this error is attributable to Vundo/Virtumonde trying to defend itself, or to some Avast! specific issue when dealing with this malware.

Because of the WIN98 environment, the choice of tools my father can use is dramatically reduced: for example, VundoFix and Malwarebytes can't run under WIN98.

My father is an elderly person and I don't want to flatten his HD and force him to start over from zero, reinstalling the O/S and all his applications etc... Can you help us to come out of this?

Here below is the image of the "Results of las scan" window that opened at the end of the scan (only the first lines are visible, but the rest is just the same).

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Vundo/Virtumonde on a WIN/98 machine.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:10:36 AM »
Already in progress on your similar thread.
Perhaps any more helpers would post to the other thread, please.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.