Author Topic: High CPU on RAR files? (Build 418)  (Read 5111 times)

softwareguy

High CPU on RAR files? (Build 418)
« on: June 14, 2004, 07:33:37 AM »
It seems that whenever someone uploads a RAR file using HFS (http://www.rejetto.com/forum), Avast seems to rescan the RAR many times and causes a huge lag of the system. I guess the RAR was continuously modified when the upload is in progress. The RAR size is only 2 MB btw.

Any workaround for this?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:High CPU on RAR files? (Build 418)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 09:40:20 AM »
First, the RAR hasn't changed for a long time so this is most likely not a 418-specific thing (I hope :)).

Second, your saying that your scanning RAR files on-access? Hmm.. well - what can I say? Especially if the file is continuously written, avast will be triggered many times and the overhead will of course be enormous.

Is there a way to recognize that the file is not comletely there yet? Like a different file name or something? So that you could put it to the exclusion list...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

softwareguy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 10:46:47 AM »
Is there a way to recognize that the file is not comletely there yet? Like a different file name or something? So that you could put it to the exclusion list...
What does that suppose to mean?
The filename for the RAR(s) are random so... :-\

Hopefully pk has worked out the problem.
Thanks pk.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 10:49:19 AM »
If you have the on-access scanner configuration that includes created/modified files scanning with RAR extension, there is nothing to be "worked out" here, sorry.

softwareguy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 10:51:14 AM »
Created/Modified on All...  :(
Would this behavior change on the next major?  :'(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 10:58:37 AM »
No, it won't.
Sorry, but it's doing exactly what you instructed it to. You want all the created/modified files to be scanned... if the file is written by parts, closed and reopened again after each few kilobytes, it's simply being modified very frequently - so, an enormous number of scans occurs. There is nothing we can do about it.

I don't think having all the created/modified files be scanned is a good idea (or even necessary).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 10:59:11 AM by igor »

softwareguy

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 11:03:21 AM »
I don't think the file was closed before the rewriting toke place.
However, I will check that part later.

If I were to uncheck the Scan created/modified checkbox, would Avast warn about a malware if it's only saved and not opened?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 11:07:51 AM »
I don't think the file was closed before the rewriting toke place.

Well, how can you know that, if you didn't write the application that handles the upload? :)

If I were to uncheck the Scan created/modified checkbox, would Avast warn about a malware if it's only saved and not opened?

No, it wouldn't.
I didn't say you should disable the option completely (even though it shouldn't cause any bigger security risk either) - I meant that having all the files to be scanned like this is a little overkill, in my opinion. The standard set of extensions should be enough.

softwareguy

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 11:11:44 AM »
 ;D... You are right! I will have to ask the author later on.  :-\

Anyways, I think a solution for this maybe to integrate the Smart File Detection feature into Resident Protection? Should speed up the process and increase system performance. ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 11:14:50 AM »
Not really - you may have the scanning of archives turned on - then it wouldn't speed up anything.
How about doing the "smart file detection" yourself and telling avast! not to scan modified RAR files? ;)

softwareguy

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 11:28:39 AM »
.... Eh
Avast definition of packers = archives.
Then I wonder what Avast will do when it encounters a UPX compressed EXE. No option to select anything? Or are they automatically scanned anyways?
I would turn off scanning of archives though... since they cannot infect without being decompressed first.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 04:49:46 AM »
I think, we have worked the problems out with softwareguy via icq:
it means:
  - WinExec packers consist of upx/aspack/... packers and you can allow it as a whole
  - ' smart file detection': doesnt have sense