Author Topic: Black Tuesday updates  (Read 6068 times)

Avastfan1

Black Tuesday updates
« on: December 09, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »
Dear Forum,

11 Window$ Updates were installed and the reboot occurred without any problems.

How did YOU fare with the dreaded Black Tuesday?

Best wishes,

Avastfan1

YoKenny

Re: Black Tuesday updates
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:31:44 AM »
Dear Forum,

11 Window$ Updates were installed and the reboot occurred without any problems.

How did YOU fare with the dreaded Black Tuesday?

Best wishes,

Avastfan1

2 for Windows 7 and 12 for XP Pro.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - December 2009 (KB890830)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976325)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »
Got 2 for office and 8 for XP on my work laptop, restart OK

Inga problem her grabben...... ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 03:39:26 PM »
I got 7 for XP Pro SP2 Yesterday (manual visit to WU site), I always decline the Malicious software removal tool (to darn big for dial-up and I have avast ;D)

Strange thing WU Auto updates pipes up and offers one more, yet when I visit WU site and no updates, just one of the further inconsistencies of WU for me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:33:09 PM »
Hi DavidR,

But Microsoft just before Christmas protected against a USB-stick-worm: http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2009/12/08/msrt-slices-the-hamweq-for-christmas.aspx

The latest Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) update is enabling the removal tool to detect also the Hamweq worm. This malicious software spreads through shared network folders, USB-sticks also known as pendrives and other preripherals and enables attackers to access the OS via an IRC-backdoor. Because of an increase in Hamweq activity the software vendor decided to put it onto a "blacklist" and add to the free removal tool. According to MS firm scanner Forefront it is the second most active worm to-day:
http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=77478
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32/Hamweq

The advice for now is to disable autorun: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029
 You can reduce the effectiveness of these types of worms by ensuring that autorun content is not displayed in the autoplay dialog when removable or network drives are attached. For Windows 7, this is the default behavior (see: http://blogs.technet.com/srd/archive/2009/04/28/autorun-changes-in-windows-7.aspx). If you have an earlier version of Windows that is not already configured in this way, you can follow the instructions at:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029. Alternatively, for Windows Vista or later, you can disable autoplay completely, or for particular types of media, via the “Hardware and Sound” section of the Control Panel.  

For me Hamweq is not coming to Christmas dinner, folks,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 06:05:40 PM »
The Malicious Software Removal Tool still doesn't bring any benefits to my system as I'm more than adequately covered and autorun is already disabled, along with another slew of measures.

That may not be the case for everyone, but it is for me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 06:41:03 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Ah I see, that is why you did not post it. I hope some may benefit, else MSRT would be an idle operation alltogether,

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »
Well I have posted the various measures that I take in many posts where it is related as opposed to being somewhat off-topic for this topic.

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:08:36 PM »
No problem on Vista. Hate the waste of time restart. I manually download at my leisure and sometimes reject useless updates.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

cinchez

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 03:40:06 AM »
Same here Corday^^

Others r just a waste of time...successfully installed 7 important windows update with of course a reboot^^

[Win Vista]

-AnimeLover^^

pinnacle

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 03:42:55 AM »
Got them late that day after  a little trouble i had with windows update but everything is humming along fine now.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 08:38:42 PM »
8 for XP -- got a new problem I'd never seen before (access denied because of credentials submitted), but got a quick email response from MS Support suggesting I check, among other things, my Local Area Connections DNS settings.  I don't remember ever touching those, just the ones for my ISP connection, but once I set the LAC ones to MS's recommendations, Update went just fine.

Wandering somewhat OT, it'll be interesting to see if the change makes any difference to the extremely slow lookups for HTTPS addys I've experienced with Firefox 3.5.x.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent