Author Topic: Keylogger  (Read 12571 times)

victor43

Keylogger
« on: December 09, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
I believe my system is infected with a keylogger. AVAST has not detected it can someone tell how to go about in cleaning my system of this keylogger ?

Thanks in advance.

Hermite15

Re: Keylogger
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:32:25 PM »
hi and welcome,

as to your issue, more precisions needed obviously... how did you detect it, what are the signs that you have a keylogger?

pinnacle

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »
i would try this free application, http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ A-Squared Free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »
What are the symptoms of your suspicions ?

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.

What is your firewall ?
The reason for asking key-loggers to be of use must send the data gathered home and a firewall with outbound protection would be a line of defence.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

victor43

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »
hi and welcome,

as to your issue, more precisions needed obviously... how did you detect it, what are the signs that you have a keylogger?

Thanks Logos.

I can tell that there is an application monitoring my keystrokes because there is a lag/delay during typing. Not present before but after surfing I seem to notice that it picked up. I have WinPatrol installed and running in the background. Also I don't have any other applications running at the same time when typing.

Please advise and thank to everyone's replies.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:52:34 PM by victor43 »

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:51:26 PM »
I'm afraid this doesn't mean you have a keylogger. Keyloggers in general should be able to record instantly your keystokes without you noticing anything. The delay you got comes from something else. Check your keyboard settings  ;) ...if it's not that it's something else that might be broken on your install... malware may  be, did you run a malware scan as suggested (with SAS and/or MAB) ?

victor43

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »
I'm afraid this doesn't mean you have a keylogger. Keyloggers in general should be able to record instantly your keystokes without you noticing anything. The delay you got comes from something else. Check your keyboard settings  ;) ...if it's not that it's something else that might be broken on your install... malware may  be, did you run a malware scan as suggested (with SAS and/or MAB) ?

I have noticed that my firewall application has warned me that it discovered that its security file(s) have been tampered with but now restored and that I should run a spyware/antivirus scan. I've seen this waring once now.

Thanks again

Jtaylor83

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »
The way to prevent future keyloggers by encrypting your keystrokes is to use KeyScrambler from QFX Software.

victor43

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:00:07 PM »
What are the symptoms of your suspicions ?

What is your firewall ?
The reason for asking key-loggers to be of use must send the data gathered home and a firewall with outbound protection would be a line of defence.

Many thanks

You will type something fairly quickly and what happens is you will finish typing and the visibilty of the characters show up a split second afterwards. So your ahead of the keystrokes. This happens often now.
My firewall is PC Tools Firewall Plus.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:02:15 PM by victor43 »

victor43

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:04:11 PM »
The way to prevent future keyloggers by encrypting your keystrokes is to use KeyScrambler from QFX Software.

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try. Would you know how to tell if its working once downloaded and installed ? Is there a way to test it out ?

pinnacle

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 11:16:12 PM »
type some numbers in address bar and look at the system tray where keyscrambler icon is and it will show it randomizing the numbers in different sequence.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:50:26 PM by pinnacle »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 11:33:04 PM »
What is your firewall ?

Many thanks
<snip>
My firewall is PC Tools Firewall Plus.

That should give reasonable protection against unauthorised outbound connections, making it harder if there were a key-logger on the system to upload captured data.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

victor43

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 12:32:27 AM »

Thanks again Logos. Yes I've taken the advice of DavidR and downloaded Malwarebytes and A-Squared and SuperAntiSpyware. Nothing showed up on any of the scans. I honestly feel that this malware has stealth capabilities. Hence another reason for thinking its a keylogger.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »
Maybe do a hijackthis log for them so they can verify more your pc ?

victor43

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 05:59:18 PM »
i would try this free application, http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ A-Squared Free

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded this program and ran a scan. It found some suspect files which it uploaded. The files were not quarantined or cleaned since they were only suspect.