Author Topic: How can I share my Wi-Fi safely with my neighbour?  (Read 21782 times)

pinnacle

Re: How can I share my Wi-Fi safely with my neighbour?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 06:24:08 AM »
GEE WHIZ !!!!! Great  lets make it easier for those trying to find a way to get through everyones router encryption by putting the software's name in a reply. he, he, he, do you know how much it is for a 3 year key just kidding
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:29:25 AM by pinnacle »

Alan|Cvette

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 06:25:22 AM »
Hi Chris,

When using a WEP password please make sure it is rather long, at least 9+ characters. And is not a word/group of words (example: marryhadalittlelamb) as these are easy to crack. Be sure to use special characters such as !@#$%^&*()_+ ...etc.

I know, "What? 9-10 characters? How am I going to remember that?". Well that is easy, just write it down on a small piece of paper, then tape it on your computer case or monitor.

You should also be able to "monitor" or see any blocked attempts your routers firewall has made, by accessing the control panel. You can usually type in 192.168.1.1 into your browser bar, than enter your router login information.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 06:29:28 AM »
@ pinnacle

sorry abt that name. I changed it.

@Alan

I will apply your idea

It would be great if there were softwares that will notify you when someone tries to break into your network.

And allows to share with a person you trust and adjust the bandwidth for him. For example I can give him 256 out of 1 MB
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:32:40 AM by Chris Thomas »

pinnacle

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 06:31:12 AM »
darn it chris i was just writing it down to google it ha,ha,ha ;D

ardvark

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 06:50:17 AM »
I think I will kindly tell him a lie that my internet connection is slow so sharing will make it much slower. God forgive me.

Hi...

Don't lie to him, just explain that after thinking about it and considering the advice of others, you decided not to. I'm sorry that you live in a country where you are not allowed to live out your faith, I will pray for you and our other brothers and sisters there and that the government of the UAE will abolish these kind of laws.

God bless :)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 07:51:44 AM »
@ pinnacle

sorry abt that name. I changed it.

@Alan

I will apply your idea

It would be great if there were softwares that will notify you when someone tries to break into your network.

And allows to share with a person you trust and adjust the bandwidth for him. For example I can give him 256 out of 1 MB
lol still good!
Before my dial up modem connects at 45.2kps and the downloading speed was really slow 4 kb per second.
I was dying of slowness lol!
Anyway does a firewall not protect our WEP key or something from Hacker or Crackers?

ardvark

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »
[Anyway does a firewall not protect our WEP key or something from Hacker or Crackers?

Hi...

I don't believe that it does. A firewall is designed to protect your computer from these kind of attacks. Your DSL or cable connection is separate and outside of that.

God bless :)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 05:20:08 PM »
WEP is rather easily broken now. For the best security use WPA or if your router supports it WPA2.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »
What I found interesting in this whole thread was ignoring how many people don't protect their Wi-Fi at all. The ISPs should require users to have passwords of at least 12 characters with a combination of letters, symbols and numbers.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 06:15:32 PM »
What I found interesting in this whole thread was ignoring how many people don't protect their Wi-Fi at all. The ISPs should require users to have passwords of at least 12 characters with a combination of letters, symbols and numbers.

ISP has nothing to do with that, it's the routers' manufacturers that should finally remove WEP encryption completely and once for all and leave no other choice than WPA or WPA2. Then we can talk about passwords length  ;D ...think some people don't even use anything  ::)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 07:05:35 AM »
Hmm....I switched to WPA 2..... :D

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
The password to gain access my Livebox(A sort of modem I think which allow us to access internet at a high speed)is written under my livebox hehe.People should come to my house to see that lol!

timcan

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 01:44:07 PM »
The only time you can crack the pre-shared key is if it is a dictionary word or relatively short in length. Conversely, if you want to have an unbreakable wireless network at home, use WPA/WPA2 and a 63 character password composed of random characters including special symbols.

More interesting reading here  edit: removed link

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 04:04:33 PM by RNfromTN »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
Oops...

Why are you sharing the software to crack WiFi here?

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 04:59:50 PM »
Finally I got a software which turns your turn your Windows 7 laptop into a WiFi hotspot to share the Internet with friends, co-workers, and mobile devices.

Get it here

http://connectify.me

Edited:

For using this yourself between your own devices....

How do you rate this piece of software?

Found it on PC World
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:48:45 PM by Chris Thomas »