Author Topic: How can I share my Wi-Fi safely with my neighbour?  (Read 21778 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How can I share my Wi-Fi safely with my neighbour?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »
Quote from: Chris Thomas
Finally I got a software which turns your turn your Windows 7 laptop into a WiFi hotspot to share the Internet with friends, co-workers, and mobile devices.

After all the advice offered here, your going to have your wifi broadcast its presence, your crazy.

The whole point of security of a wifi is by not knowing it is there, security through obscurity. If they know it is there (you then have to take strong measures to protect it) then they can try to hack it.

Having this software doesn't resolve all the other pitfalls mentioned as in its your ass on the line for what other on your system connect to ???
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:39:44 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »
Nah.... I am only sharing it with my mobile devices...I mean PSP

Not with others otherwise ass will get burned  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for your concern about my network security

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:49:20 PM by Chris Thomas »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 09:53:36 AM »
Finally I got a software which turns your turn your Windows 7 laptop into a WiFi hotspot to share the Internet with friends, co-workers, and mobile devices.

After all the advice offered here, your going to have your wifi broadcast its presence, your crazy.

The whole point of security of a wifi is by not knowing it is there, security through obscurity. If they know it is there (you then have to take strong measures to protect it) then they can try to hack it.

Having this software doesn't resolve all the other pitfalls mentioned as in its your ass on the line for what other on your system connect to ???

Don't be surprised, remember this is a guy that buys 2x gtx295 cards and then says he doesn't do gaming. Look at his sig, he spent a small fortune(or most likely mommy and daddy did) for that rig just to use it for the most simple tasks.  ::)

I just want to learn if there are tweaks. I use my PC mostly to try out new software, use HEX Editor and stuff.

I don't play games, or waste time.

Call me a Nerd. I don't mind.

@Chris Thomas: At least disable SSID broadcasting and enter the SSID manually with your devices, that way you won't be broadcasting to everyone around you that you have wi-fi.

EDIT: Another method to strenghten wi-fi security that i use myself is to enable the wireless MAC filter and only allow certain MAC addresses(the ones from my device's/pc's) to connect to my wi-fi.

To really tighten your security hide your SSID, enable WPA 2 + set a strong password(change it once in a while) and block all unknown MAC addresses connecting to your wi-fi by default. Also change the default admin password and disable remote logging to your router. Change the default internal(LAN) ip's and make them all static ip's.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:05:32 AM by darth_mikey »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
I do most of my gaming with my hand held gaming devices.

I do only little gaming with my PC.

The last game I played on my PC was Batman: Arkham Asylum and Battlefield: Bad Company 2

About the cost of my PC, you shouldn't be concerned

I use multiple monitors. One for my bro and me.

Thanks for your advise on wireless security

I have kept it hidden
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:28:25 AM by Chris Thomas »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »
Hi Chris Thomas,

Check with ntop what you are doing there, install a free demo from here:
Watch what goes on there in your browser via: http://127.0.0.1:3000
http://www.ntop.org/demo/ntop/win32/
Or put the U3 version on a U3 peripheral,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »
@ Polonus

Thanks.

DukeNukem

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 12:53:09 AM »

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726942.aspx

Hermite15

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 12:59:41 AM »
@ Duke Nukem: I knew this article; didn't mention it here to avoid a never ending discussion. I wanted to prevent my router from broadcasting its ssid... until I read that page you linked to, a few months ago. For those who absolutely want to do it, it sounds a bit safer on Vista/Seven, and very unsafe on XP. Better off with leaving the default setting: broadcast... but avoid WEP at all cost.

roro

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 10:05:41 AM »
This discussion has been all about letting someone share your wifi connection.  It is really difficult when someone who lives next door asks for that favor.  I have said no to sharing my connection and always feel a little guilty.  I also know of people who will ride around the neighborhood looking for unsecured wireless connections. 
My question is about using a hotspot or sharing someone elses connection with permission.  Doesn't this also open up your computer to hackers etc.?  I am renting a place that receives a non secured wifi signal from a legal hotspot, and still requested my own wifi secured connection even though it costs a monthly fee, because I was afraid of compromising my computer.

RoRo

roro

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »
Can a computer be hacked when it is in sleep or hibernation mode?

RoRo

Sorry I didn't mean to post twice.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:12:07 AM by roro »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 10:30:31 AM »
This discussion has been all about letting someone share your wifi connection.  It is really difficult when someone who lives next door asks for that favor.  I have said no to sharing my connection and always feel a little guilty.  I also know of people who will ride around the neighborhood looking for unsecured wireless connections. 
My question is about using a hotspot or sharing someone elses connection with permission.  Doesn't this also open up your computer to hackers etc.?  I am renting a place that receives a non secured wifi signal from a legal hotspot, and still requested my own wifi secured connection even though it costs a monthly fee, because I was afraid of compromising my computer.

RoRo

As long as you have a firewall and you tell it the WiFi connection is not a secure network, you'll be safe.

The only risk is that the router is not properly secured and is hacked by an infected computer on the network to divert DNS requests to malicious sites. Only the WiFi connection suppliers can assure you of this.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Hermite15

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 11:06:50 AM »
@ roro: you're better off with your own secure connection, never rely on a public hotspot in your neighborhood, your firewall can indeed protect you against others on the "local" network that is not really that local anymore, but shit can happen obviously that would never happen if your got your own connection with your own ISP...like eavesdropping between you and the hotspot, or even a direct access to your harddrive.
 As to hibernation or sleep modes: that's another story.Hibernation is less convenient but obviously more secure as no external signal can wake up yur computer from hibernation, you must manually turn the power on. In sleep mode, the network adapter (wifi) can do that...not a problem again if you stick to your own ISP connection  ;)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »
I don't share my WI-FI with anyone as a result of this Topic and with the advises of Avast forum adventurists.

I am thankful!  :D

ardvark

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »
It is really difficult when someone who lives next door asks for that favor.  I have said no to sharing my connection and always feel a little guilty.  I also know of people who will ride around the neighborhood looking for unsecured wireless connections.  

Hi...

There is no need to feel guilty....at all. I don't believe most (or perhaps any) ISP's allow a customer to invite anyone and everyone to piggyback off the connection just because they ask. This is a form of stealing, let alone the inherent security risks. ;)

I would check with the owner/operator of the hotspot to see if they mind you being connected to the network continuously, if that's something you're interested in doing.

May God bless you :)