Author Topic: New AOL version 9.6 drives Avast crazy. JS:ScriptIP-inf [Trj]  (Read 9322 times)

sgstandre

New AOL version 9.6 drives Avast crazy. JS:ScriptIP-inf [Trj]
« on: December 27, 2009, 05:36:09 PM »
Ever since I upgraded to the newest version of AOL standalone aplication, EVERY time I open an email in the application, Avast comes up with a warning about JS:ScriptIP-inf [Trj] in file tcode3[1].htm . Very, very annoying. When I try to run an earlier version of AOL I now also get the same warnings from Avast, -I guess it implies that a common .dll has been updated with the bad code? Is my AOL version somehow infected? Ort is the whole AOL release infected? Is this a false alarm? Is this something you can sort out between you and AOL?

CharleyO

Re: New AOL version 9.6 drives Avast crazy. JS:ScriptIP-inf [Trj]
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »

Welcome to the forums, sgstandre.

Try updating avast database as a new update has been released which may help your problem.

Let us know the results and if you need more help.

sgstandre

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 08:24:33 PM »
Yes, the new Avast update, which arrived shortly after I posted my question, seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you!

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 09:05:56 PM »
Wooooooo!  Am I glad to see this thread.
The latest Virus Database Update is loading as I type this.  I hope it fixes MY AOL's problem.
Earlier today I posted about having encountered a Trojan Alert when I accessed my niece's Blog.  Good thing I didn't E-mail her yet.  Cuz then shortly afterwards, I realized that it wasn't just that 1 E-mail that caused problems.  Suddenly, as long as I was in my AOL Inbox for several seconds, I started to get Major Trojan Alert City!  :o

I ran a MBAM Manual Scan and it didn't find anything.  I ran an avast Manual Scan of the Folder where avast kept saying the Trojan was.  Nothing was found.  I was getting ready to do a SAS Manual Scan.

I started wondering whether I didn't pick up the Trojan at my friend's Blog, the one whom I was helping with that greetsoft.com dangerous site problem.
Or I wondered if I didn't screw up something last night when I did a CCleaner Clean.

Anyway, apparently not only was AOL 9.6 affected because I have AOL 9.0 Security Edition and well ... my AOL was also going crazy this morning.

The latest Virus Database Update is DONE.  Now I'm going to go check whether this latest Update fixed the AOL Going Crazy problem.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:50:23 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:20:26 PM »
I went and checked my AOL E-mail.  It SEEMS that the latest avast Virus Database Update DID fix the False Positive Trojan Alert Monsoon problem from this morning.  Woo Hoo!  Woot Woot!  :)
Whew!  Oh well, the MBAM Manual Scan didn't hurt.  Might as well have done it anyway.

It's funny that if anything positive came out of this incident is that I FINALLY cleared my AOL Inbox.  I can't even remember the last time I was able to clear that thing out.  Seems like every time I got close to getting caught up with all my E-mails ... POOF!  There'd be a flood of more E-mails.

This morning I had about 27 E-mails or so.  When I isolated the problem to sort of be E-mail-related, I didn't want to take any chances.  I just friggin' deleted ALL E-mails.  Ehhh, none of them were important.  ;D  It might have been quite a scenic route way to clear my Inbox, but it's CLEARED nonetheless.  ;D
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:39:04 PM »

Hi sgstandre & Chim,

I am happy that the update from avast helped your problems.

@ sgstandre -

Please come back often and learn more.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:07:55 PM »
At least the 2 False Positives in recent times have given me some experience and are conditioning me to NOT panic when I see an Alert pop up.  Now when I see an Alert I'll make sure to focus even more on gathering as many clues as I can that might point to whether it's likely to be a legit Virus or a False Positive.  Like with both recent False Positives, I WAS aware that the Alerts popped up either during or shortly after a Virus Database Update.

And of course ... Check the avast Forums.  They're definitely a very handy, useful tool in cases like this because we can rather quickly ascertain whether there is suddenly an outbreak of OTHER people experiencing the same problem that WE are suddenly experiencing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:10:14 PM by Chim »

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:15:39 PM »
Whoa!  I just now noticed that I am now a full-blown 5-Star avast! Evangelist!  :o
I don't even know if that just happened now, today ... the last couple of days or if it's been like that for a while.  I hadn't noticed my rank in quite a while, I guess.

Sooo, am I gonna be sent an avast! Evangelist T-Shirt, Hoodie and Leather Jacket?  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 07:21:51 PM »
Sooo, am I gonna be sent an avast! Evangelist T-Shirt, Hoodie and Leather Jacket?  ;D
Almost ;D
You can have access to another forum: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=17.0
The best things in life are free.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 10:41:07 PM »
Thanks for the Heads Up, Tech!   :)