Author Topic: my old 2002 IBM laptop  (Read 12524 times)

sham1313

Re: my old 2002 IBM laptop
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 05:47:12 PM »
I was just at my profile and I saw no picture there and I know I had a picture of one of my pet kids don't recall witch one. I tried to upload a Picture of my pet BF Amazon his name is Sweetpea. I tried to pull up the map to show I was located in West West  Sacto. CA. CA. but it would not do any thing at all. may my computer is to old to do any thing on my profile.
Sharon

If you are using an avatar that is linked to another website and they removed it or blocked you from using it, that would account for it not showing.

It's better to save your avatar to your hard drive & then upload it to your avast! profile. ;)

sham1313

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
I am not sure what it going on with my profile it won't do any changes I have tried. I don't thing it would matter that this computer is a 2002 IBM laptop, but maybe it does because I cannot upload a picture from this computer or try to pull up the map and mark West Scot. CA. to mark where I am at.
      I do do thank you very much for you help. I went right to Application and gedit  witch like you say is kind of like word pad, and right to accessories to graphics to the pictures. so I can try to do what I want to my pictures. also takes notes to try in help me learn this new OPS.

I am a bit puzzled about tomboy notes  and what it would be use for. then the ones that are under office and what they are use for may be have to do with some thing like thing like quick book witch was with windows OPS but I never use that part.

I think my nephew marsh put  ubuntu OPS in this IBM because it would work better in this old computer. I am guessing.when I am threw with my email I will start reading about it to see what ells I can learn. thanks for the help again I have a good start at learing this OPS the right way
Thanks Sharon

Applications>Accessories>gedit Text Editor is the equivalent of Word Pad.

You can resize pictures in Applications>Graphics>gThumb Image Viewer or Gimp Image Editor.

(Tools>Scale or Image>Scale.)

You can right-click and resize images if you install Nautilus Image converter:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/09/17/nautilus-image-converter-quickly-resize-or-rotate-images-within-nautilus/

The Absolute Beginner Talk section of the Ubuntu forum is a good place to get advice.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326

sham1313

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 06:57:51 PM »
thanks again i can do that now.
sharon :)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 07:17:30 PM »
Tomboy's just a way of making notes. Think of it as yellow Post-It notes stuck round your monitor, just more organised.

It's similar to Sticky Notes, which actually look like Post-It notes on your desktop.

http://tips.webdesign10.com/ubuntu/tomboy-notes-sticky-notes
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

ardvark

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 08:54:35 PM »
Hi Sharon...

I'm not sure why you are experiencing difficulties changing your avatar in your profile settings, you're right, the age of your computer has nothing to do with that. Having dial-up (for your internet connection) would affect the map coming up in a timely manner. ???

God bless :)

sham1313

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 11:04:15 PM »
     Thanks you have been a big help. how my nephew has done this computer there was nothing on the desktop at all, the bottom left you do have application, places, ands system to click on by that is the browser to click and after that help, then on the bottom right there the date and the time just before my name. then a circle 0. that is where you click a menu up and can shut down + more to choose from. after you shut the OPS down and a few words come up on the screan (Spelt wrong) say the system is shut down. there a place on the left side of the computer where you slide it to turn it on, but when you slide after you shut it down it turns off.
Sharon

I did put one folder on the desktop that name is pictures.
you know all that is on top of most browser.  that and what I just type about is all the menu I have their are 3 symbols under my name. one is trash, click to switch desk 2 and click to start dragging.

I am kind of getting the hang of it. I thank you again for your help

Tomboy's just a way of making notes. Think of it as yellow Post-It notes stuck round your monitor, just more organised.

It's similar to Sticky Notes, which actually look like Post-It notes on your desktop.

http://tips.webdesign10.com/ubuntu/tomboy-notes-sticky-notes

sham1313

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 11:11:24 PM »
not sure if I got enough time to try working with it again now. later I will, I thing it maybe I was not log on all the way. I will be putting a pictures of My sweetpea (BF Amazon)  if later today you see the picture let me know please.
Thanks Sharon
P.S. I have ATT now while way back A year ago I was still stuck with dial up, but not now
Hi Sharon...

I'm not sure why you are experiencing difficulties changing your avatar in your profile settings, you're right, the age of your computer has nothing to do with that. Having dial-up (for your internet connection) would affect the map coming up in a timely manner. ???

God bless :)