Author Topic: my old 2002 IBM laptop  (Read 12572 times)

sham1313

my old 2002 IBM laptop
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:44:56 PM »
         I was off the net for a while when the new computer cashed witch was a few month ago. some day that one well be fixed but at least my old IBM laptop is working. it does fine surfing the net and can go fast. in trying to any thing els it does go slower but it does just fine. all I have to do is learn this new OPS. well appreciate any help I can get. it good to be back and I thank you for taking the time to read this.

here is a copy paste of some on the new operating system that my nephew Marsh put in my old computer. it is a 2002 IBM laptop it last OS was professional 2000 it work with that system for 3 or 4 years but I guess it is what fried my hard drive. I paid for shipping to get it to my nephew and he fixed it for my birthday. witch I was use to windows and it is being hard at the beginning to learn how to use it right.
I know word pad on windows and I think on this OS it is called tommy notes. but can't seem quite figure out how to use it right. is any familiar with this OS. can some help me with just learning to takes notes that I can make and come back to so I can learn easier how to use this. this OPS

I did import some pictures to this computer but for some reason they were put into many folders all the names of the folders are just numbers. I don't have a clue why they just did not go into one folder. just trying to start from some where in this new OS to learn it right. sham1313  Sharon

Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings!

You are using Ubuntu 9.10
                - the Karmic Koala - released in October 2009 and supported until April 2011.
   This section is an introduction to Ubuntu. It explains the Ubuntu philosophy and roots, gives information about how to contribute to Ubuntu, and shows how to get help with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is an entirely open source operating system built around the
        Linux kernel. The Ubuntu community is built around the ideals enshrined in the Ubuntu Philosophy: that software should be
                available free of charge, that software tools should be usable
                by people in their local language and despite any disabilities,
                and that people should have the freedom to customize and alter
                their software in whatever way they see fit. For those reasons:

Ubuntu will always be free of charge, and there is
                                  no extra fee for the "enterprise
                                  edition"; we make our very best work
                                  available to everyone on the same Free terms.

Ubuntu includes the very best in translations and
                                  accessibility infrastructure that the free software
                                  community has to offer, to make Ubuntu usable for as
                                  many people as possible.

Ubuntu is released regularly and predictably; a
                                  new release is made every six months. You can use
                                  the current stable release or the current
                                  development release. Each release is supported for
                                  at least 18 months.

Ubuntu is entirely committed to the principles of
                                  open source software development; we encourage
                                  people to use open source software, improve it and
                                  pass it on.

Find out more at the Ubuntu website.

CharleyO

Re: my old 2002 IBM laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:02:56 PM »

Congrats and hope you enjoy learning Ubuntu !

sham1313

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:19:08 AM »
         is there any you know about Ubuntu that might make doing it  easy task easy.  like how to redo pictures to the right size or using tomboy notes.  witch is I think like what would be word pad in windows. in word pad you just click it and and you can start typing what ever you want.   this tomboy note you have to set it up 1st. I not sure how to do a search. I mean what word to type to fine what I an needing to so I be reading in the right spot. I have not even found a place to  fine the word search to do a search. I have done nothing new like this before I have always done windows. in the morning i am go back to there start up page.

today what i have been reading is not making  good sense to me yet. for a while i am not going to be able to be on much.. i just would like to know where best place to start to learn the best way and as easy as possible.
         {will I thing I just had to read what I wrote to see that it sounds kind of dum. I just need to go back to the start page and take one step at a time till I get to where it is that I need to know to do what I am trying to do in tomboy and with pictures. ;D}

Thanks for listen to me work it out so I can just start reading. witch is some times slow for me. :)
      I do know it is best to learn this system and not to try to put any new windows OPS in this computer because of this being a 2002 model. at least I have learn that much.
Sharon  sham1313 :) :) :)

Congrats and hope you enjoy learning Ubuntu !

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:34:38 AM »
Hi Sharon...

I'm not sure why but your avatar on my screen shows a red "X." I'm not sure if others are seeing the same thing but I thought you would like to know. :)

May God bless you :)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:40:11 AM »
ardvark,

I'm not seeing a red X, maybe the avatar is fixed now.

sham1313

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 03:42:26 AM »
thanks for telling me 1st thing in the morning i will check this out and Charley 0 to you too.
Sharon sham1313

Hi Sharon...

I'm not sure why but your avatar on my screen shows a red "X." I'm not sure if others are seeing the same thing but I thought you would like to know. :)

May God bless you :)

ardvark

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 04:07:14 AM »
ardvark,

I'm not seeing a red X, maybe the avatar is fixed now.

Hi...

I'm still seeing the X, what are you seeing?

@Sharon: You're welcome :)

God bless :)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 04:14:29 AM »
I don't see a red X or any avatar.

I use Opera, you are probably using ff or ie, that would make the difference.

If there was an avatar Opera would show it.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 04:20:36 AM »
If you are using an avatar that is linked to another website and they removed it or blocked you from using it, that would account for it not showing.

It's better to save your avatar to your hard drive & then upload it to your avast! profile. ;)

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 04:24:34 AM »

Hi...

Right, I usually use IE8 to browse the forums, sometimes Opera. :)

EDIT: I tried viewing this page in Opera and yes, there is nothing there but a little space.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 04:26:57 AM by ardvark »

ardvark

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 04:35:45 AM »
If you are using an avatar that is linked to another website and they removed it or blocked you from using it, that would account for it not showing.

It's better to save your avatar to your hard drive & then upload it to your avast! profile. ;)

Hi....

I also viewed the source code for this page on IE8 and under line 186 this is what it reads for Sharon...

src="http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=34923;type=avatar" alt="" class="avatar" border="0" /></div><br />

It appears like it was uploaded to avast since I didn't see any other url but perhaps I didn't look far enough or missed something. :)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:27:12 AM by ardvark »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 07:22:37 AM »
Applications>Accessories>gedit Text Editor is the equivalent of Word Pad.

You can resize pictures in Applications>Graphics>gThumb Image Viewer or Gimp Image Editor.

(Tools>Scale or Image>Scale.)

You can right-click and resize images if you install Nautilus Image converter:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/09/17/nautilus-image-converter-quickly-resize-or-rotate-images-within-nautilus/

The Absolute Beginner Talk section of the Ubuntu forum is a good place to get advice.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

sham1313

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 05:02:34 PM »
I am going to try to catch on on e-mail then check my profile and see if I see my avatar this morning or just see if some thing is different then it should. no I am not using Opera or the other two you mention my nephew marsh put Fire fox on here.
Happy New year eve to every one.
Sharon :D :)

I don't see a red X or any avatar.

If there was an avatar Opera would show it.

sham1313

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »
 I am not sure witch pet kid picture I use. one of the bulldogs or one of the birds, but witch ever one I did use was from a picture that was on the new computer I was using before it cashed. it is not fixed yet. I take a look in a few min.
Sharon

sham1313

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 05:20:31 PM »
When I was using the new Hp Like I said already it crashed and is still not working. then I did have IE and Opera on it. this is the 1st time I have use fire fox. my husband is sharing there old laptop. he has use fire fox before and thought fire fox was the cause of his old computer crashing. how ever he Say's this time he has no complaint's about fire fox. I am going to go to my profile and see what I see.
Sharon

I use Opera, you are probably using ff or IE, that would make the difference.

Hi...

Right, I usually use IE8 to browse the forums, sometimes Opera. :)

EDIT: I tried viewing this page in Opera and yes, there is nothing there but a little space.