Author Topic: user interface won't start, updates don't work  (Read 3642 times)

Why?

user interface won't start, updates don't work
« on: December 31, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
i've been messing around the whole day with this, not even a fresh format of the entire hard drive, i formatted all partitions, and i installed a fresh version of windows xp sp2. I click the icon to start the interface, nothing happens. if i click it again it opens and after some time it opens for the first click also, so i have 2 of them. Then automatic updates don't work, manual updates don't work i click them and nothing happens. Also i can't install language, since i downloaded a new version today i wanted to install my language but if i click add language in the CP nothing happens also.

fresh windows install, i don't have a firewall. avast version is 4.8.1368...
what is causing this? ??? ???

bobo1

Re: user interface won't start, updates don't work
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 06:40:25 PM »
Maybe mbr boot sector virus causing this. Use xp cd rom remove all partitions on hard drive via xp install via cd rom & recreate partitions and load xp on C:\ partition after xp has installed ok format D: E: etc within windows and re install avast again from avast web site full version.

Why?

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 07:14:09 PM »
read my opening post, i did that already.
are you gonna tell me now that it's a RAM virus?
i'm gonna try switching to some other AV...

gizbar

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »
Read the reply properly, Why? It was suggested that you remove (delete) the partitions then start from scratch. If it's an MBR virus, it may survive a format if it is resident in the boot sector. I'm not sure that this is the case, as MBR virii have not been popular for a while. If you recreate the partitions it will rewrite the boot sectors.

Make sure you install Avast as an administrator, and you might want to check that your download file is good by re-downloading direct from Avast.com. Then install your own language version rather than the English version and then the Croatian version.

Hope that helps, Gizbar.

Why?

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 08:38:05 PM »
i did delete the partitions, and then reformatted, i did read the reply i know what's being told to me.
anyway, i don't wanna mess around with this, it's not my computer, i installed AVG and it's working fine.

can i just ask if it is a boot sector virus, would it allow AVG to work?
and i also scanned with ESET Online Scanner, and with Avast in boot mode, when it was working.
Eset found 2 files and i deleted them...that was all before the partition deletion and format.

gizbar

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:36:46 PM »
Glad it's worked for you.

Not gonna pretend I know why Avast failed for you and AVG didn't.   ???   I did the exact same thing a few years back when I couldn't install AVG on a new build and Avast worked fine.

You didn't say in your post you had deleted the partitions, you just said you had reformatted.

regards, Gizbar.

bobo1

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 12:55:15 AM »
Never had a problem installing avast on new xp installations on newly partitioned/formatted hard drives. Must be a virus interfereing with the install. Avg is ok though but i do not recommend as it lets in viruses as this has not many shields as Avast! not used Avg for 4 years when i had trouble with blaster worm! BAD!.
Happy New Year ;D

Why?

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:58:37 AM »
well if it is a virus i don't know where it could have hide.
like i said, i deleted partitions (sorry i didn't say that in my first post), formatted, switched off laptop several time to erase RAM.

And also when i did a scan with ESET it found 2 viruses which AVAST didn't, so you can't have full protection, even with paid versions. People will just crypt the viruses to make them FUD and screw with you no matter which AV you have.

If i sounded like an b'tard i'm sorry, it's just i'm dealing with things like this all the time and i was a bit crazy... :-[
Happy New Year to everyone...