Author Topic: VRDB not loaded  (Read 9947 times)

rlndsgrb

VRDB not loaded
« on: June 21, 2003, 02:59:30 PM »
I have WinME and Avast32 works fine with Integrity
Data Base .It is filled with about 30 MB.
I have now installed Avast! 4, but VRDB has not been loaded at installation time. I have added the
"RunInterval=5" statement in Avast.ini and a load has worked....but  now the data base Avast.mdb contains only 196KB instead of 30MB that Avast32 used in its Integrity data base. I feel that something is wrong... Many thanks in advance,regards rolando.

techie101

Re:VRDB not loaded
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 04:02:19 AM »
rindsgrb,

What I would do at this point is a manual database update using the Update located in the Avast tray icon.

Make sure that you have the latest version of Avast 4 which is 4..0.229...if not, again use the Program update in the Avast tray icon.

Don't leave the RunInterval set to 5 or the VRDB will want to constantly generate.  Set is to 10080 which is a 7 day cycle.

I usually do not like to have one version overwrite another as you seemed to have done.  Sometimes not all the files are overwritten properly and some are corrupted.  A clean install works better.

Lets work with what you have for now.

;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 10:29:09 AM »
rlndsgrb,

I see a number of misconceptions in your post. I'll try to rectify a bit:

- avast 4 generates the VRDB (aka 'integrity database') automatically, without our intervention. However, you've got to give it some time to do it - typically a couple of days...

- avast 4 does NOT store the VRDB in a file called avast4.mdb, but instead in the <avast>\data\integ folder. Also, the new data structure is optimized so that is consumed about 3 times less space than the integrity database of avast32 3.0.

- while setting the RunInterval value to 5 is possible, I recommend against it. You're effectively telling avast to regenerate the database every 5 minutes - you're effectively asking avast to permanently slow down your machine ;)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rlndsgrb

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 10:17:25 AM »
>- while setting the RunInterval value to 5 is >possible, I recommend against it. You're effectively >telling avast to regenerate the database every 5 >minutes - you're effectively asking avast to >permanently slow down your machine .

Every 5 minutes ..? Not  5 minutes after screensaver
condition ?
Thanks,regards

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 10:42:07 AM »
No. It starts immediately with the screen-saver (not after 5 minutes). What the RunInterval value really means is the interval of regeneration of the VRDB.
I.e., the interval in which the DB is going to be refreshed.

By default, the time line looks as follows

- start of VRDB generation (e.g. because of the start of a screen saver)
- possible break (e.g. because the screen saver is stopped)
- end of VRDB generation
- 3 weeks break
- start of VRDB generation (e.g. because of the start of a screen saver)

and so on. The 3 week break is determined by the RunInterval key.

For an explanation why setting shorter intervals can be rather contraproductive, please see this thread: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=159;start=0

Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rlndsgrb

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 04:05:27 PM »
Thanks.
Then  the screen-saver is the trigger and the RunInterval value is the interval of regeneration of the VRDB. Then if I had this trigger condition one time every month I had a regeneration of the VRDB one time every month....that would last 5 minutes if I'd have RunInterval =5....and this doesn't slow down my machine. Different it would be if I had a lot of screen saver trigger conditions...
I hope I've got. Regards.

techie101

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 07:56:48 AM »
rindsgrp,

No, I don't think you have it yet, but close.

Let's clarify the RunInterval=5......This was in one of the strings when a user wished to "force" the VRDB to start in order to check his Avast.  It is a temporary measure only!
The RunInterval time is the time between VRDB updates so to speak.  The RIT should be set to a more sensible period.  The default is 3 weeks.  I personally have mine set for 7 days.

Also, VLK did not mention that the VRDB will not generate unless the system is idle....whether the screensaver is active or not.  If your tapping at those keys, it won't start.
VLK can check me on this, but I think the idle time is about 5 minutes.

Don't get to wrapped up in the technicalities.  Set your screesaver time as you wish.  Set the RIT to something reasonable (not 5 mintues please!), and let Avast do what it does best......

Good luck  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 04:59:12 AM »
Can VRDB feature be "tested"?
Of course I do not want to be a virus infection and then learn and try to use VRDB...
Is there anyway to test this avast feature?  ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 11:25:14 PM »
Can VRDB feature be "tested"?
Of course I do not want to be a virus infection and then learn and try to use VRDB...
Is there anyway to test this avast feature?  ???

Any answer?  :-\ :-\
MW

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 09:25:24 AM »
I'm afraid you can't test it - you would have to let the original file included in VRDB and then replace the file with an infected version and tell avast! to repair it...