Author Topic: Installed 5 and PC won't boot  (Read 3741 times)

tobykim

Installed 5 and PC won't boot
« on: January 20, 2010, 01:22:28 AM »
Running Vista Home Premium, had to go back to version 4.8 which works fine, installed 5 and the PC gets to the welcome screen and crashes, registration doesn't work just as well as the program doesn't appear to either, tried it a few times without installing previous version and as a clean install same result

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Installed 5 and PC won't boot
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:31:07 AM »
installed 5 and the PC gets to the welcome screen and crashes
Any other antivirus or security program present?

Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming

Besides Google also you can use:
MS knowledgebase: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
Free memory tester (Run it overnight): http://www.memtest86.com/
XP error explanations: http://www.xptuneup.com/xptuneup_stopmessages.htm
BSODs: http://www.techmetica.com/howto/descriptions-and-fixes-of-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-crash-errors/
The best things in life are free.

tobykim

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 01:48:22 AM »
Comodo firewall and Webroot Spysweeper something doesn't like something else, think I'll give it a miss till everythings ironed out

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 01:51:32 AM »
Things were being ironed since months... I mean, maybe there is really a problem in your computer. Can't you upload the dump?
The best things in life are free.

tobykim

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 01:56:31 AM »
Well that seems strange as I've reinstalled 4.8 and it's working fine, can't do anything at the moment as I'm on a different PC also running 4.8 and to be honest I've had enough for tonight having tried to install 5 three times in various formations will have to wait for another day or find another product

tobykim

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »
Was going to upload file but don't use ftp so a no go

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
I have similar problems, I have to uninstall my finger print security software ("Acer Bio Protection") to solve this issue..., but now avast 5 works great :)
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

bobo1

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »
Webroot spysweeper is very strong ant spyware and gets deeply embedded in the computer registry. This runs in the boot process to check if spyware is in memory ram as windows is booting. Maybe a conflict! between Avast 5 & Spysweeper.

tobykim

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »
Maybe spysweeper is the cause and I'd be reluctant to get rid of it as it is good, I also have a fingerprint reader albeit a MS one so maybe that could be the problem as well, I use it a lot so don't want to get rid of that, looks like I'll have to look for another AV

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 06:00:52 PM »
Was going to upload file but don't use ftp so a no go

You don't need ftp:
1. using IE just click on the ftp link Tech gave ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming.
2. when that page has loaded
3. using windows explorer drag the file into the right and pane of IE
4. that will upload it, you don't have read rights to the asw.cz incoming folder

Before you do that give the file a unique name so it can be associated to you, e.g. tobykim_ActualFileName.dmp, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tobykim

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
Someone looking into it now possibly to do with cyberlink