Author Topic: Avast email scanner is not inserting a note in all emails:  (Read 7450 times)

TheRebel

Avast email scanner is not inserting a note in all emails:
« on: January 20, 2010, 01:43:40 AM »
Hello All,

I use two email accounts (both gmail) in Thunderbird 3.
And I've set avast email scanner to insert a note into clean and infected emails. But it is not inserting it in all emails.

When I receive any email from Gmail, avast doesn't insert a note.

I just got an email from yahoo!, and avast inserted a note into it. And just to check it again, I sent a test mail from my yahoo! account, first time it successfully inserted a note and second time I received the whole message source in my email  ??? instead of just a message.

Why is it so?

Is anyone else facing the same problem.

Regards.

TheRebel

Re: Avast email scanner is not inserting a note in all emails:
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
No reply  :o

TheRebel

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »
 :-X

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »
I don't believe you are being ignored, just that a) the forums are hectic right now and b) there isn't that much avast 5 experience knocking around either. Unfortunately I don't use gmail, so I have no experience in that regard either.

So other than inserting a clean note in the email its working ?

It is working for me in non gmail/ssl emails.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TheRebel

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »
I don't believe you are being ignored,
I can't believe it too  :-[

just that a) the forums are hectic right now and b) there isn't that much avast 5 experience knocking around either.
yeah, may be   ::)
But thanks a lottt for ur response... ;D

So other than inserting a clean note in the email its working ?
Yes, as i mentioned in my first post, only 2 or 3 emails that I received, it showed the whole message source in reading pane instead of just showing the message (which it should show), but since then I've never faced this problem again.

I've set avast to scan only incoming emails not outgoing.
But it is inserting note only in few emails instead of inserting in all incoming emails.
Hope this issue will be resolved soon...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »
Personally I don't find a use for the insert clean not in incoming emails if there is an infection, you will know, if you set the first option in the auto actions to Ask, even if left to Move to chest, then you would stil get a notification but no interactive question.

I did in 4.8 place a clean note in outbound email as a bit of an advert for avast ;D

Is there anything in the email headings ?
avast used to do that too.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TheRebel

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »
I did in 4.8 place a clean note in outbound email as a bit of an advert for avast ;D

Good  ;D.
I've to forward emails to my friends/classmates, if avast inserts a note in all incoming emails, it would be an advert too (when I forward those emails)  ;)

Is there anything in the email headings ?
avast used to do that too.

The emails that I'm receiving?
And what avast used to do..  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »
Yes the ones you are receiving as avast appends information in email headers. Though the user can't see them, by checking that if it is able to add the entries in the header in theory it should be able to insert clean notes.

In your email program have you still got the gmail set up as requiring an SSL connection (don't know the correct words, as I don't use tbird), if so you can uncheck that option and see if that helps.

If an email is SSL it can't be modified, that is the whole point of it, but by setting the gmail account setting in tbird to SSL would block any modification. The idea being that avast can intercept the email and insert the clean note before transmission in SSL mode.

TheRebel

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:29:51 PM »
yes, by default Gmail's IMAP uses SSL/TLS and port 993 (incoming server) - But I've unchecked SSL/TLS, so now the port is 143.

And i'm using SSL/TLS in outgoing server, coz i've set avast not to scan outgoing messages.

And as I mentioned in my above posts, that it is inserting note in some emails, but not in all  :(

May be in the coming versions of avast 5, this problem is resolved...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 11:44:56 PM »
Odd, My settings are the same

IMAP  port 143  with no SSL and I have had a clean note in all of the emails I have received so far.

I also have it scanning outbound and have clean note inserted there too...

TheRebel

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 11:53:08 PM »
spg SCOTT,

yeah same settings here...

but just in incoming server address: i've written "imap.gmail.com" instead of "imap.googlemail.com", but that shouldn't be a problem.

The thing which matters is "Connection Security" which I've set to "None"...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 11:59:18 PM »
I wonder why this is happening for you then ???

TheRebel

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 12:02:45 AM »
I wonder why this is happening for you then ???

Yeah  :'(

I'll try setting avast to scan outgoing messages as well to see if it inserts note in all emails now or not...

Offline asi

• Avast Reseller
    • Auditoría y Seguridad Informática
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:29 PM »
Hello,
I tried modifying aswClnTg file (htm and txt) but when I send a message, avast! 5.0 takes like txt message even be a html message.

Do you know other solution or how to do for message get out in html mode?
Regards,

MomOfARockStar

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 09:21:39 PM »
TheRebel ... I noticed this exact same behaviour with my email start up months ago.  I use Outlook Express and I notice it happening on all 'Incoming' emails from Gmail and some yahoo accounts.  I am on the same isp as an aunt of mine and when she sends me mail through her Outlook Express on her desk top avast inserts the notice, however, if she sends me mail from her same account but through our isp's webmail then avast does not insert a note.  Unfortunately I have no solution for you but at least you know you are not the only one this is happening to now.