Author Topic: 4.8 Free Product key valid. Will it be still valid when installing V 5 Later?  (Read 7738 times)

bobo1

Hi,
Just wondering that my Avast 4.8 Free registration key will still be valid when doing a program update to version 5 ? when it is finally released?

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
Bobo1,

Avast 5 already released. Please visit avast website for information. It should be valid if you do upgrade, but if you do clean install, there will be simple way to get the license using UI in the avast's GUI :)
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

bobo1

Thank you for the info.
I will try it when Avast 4.8 nags me to update the program and see what happens? if it fails to work will go back to V 4.8.

bobo1

Will eventually update, will keep on watching the forum to see if there is any major issues with Version 5 new full release soon. Avast 4.8 has served me well and kept viruses at bay. :)

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
It works fine on my system :)

Just in case you get trouble, maybe you need to do clean install and uninstalling avast v4.8 using this one: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If you download the full of-line installation file for avast 5 and run it with 4.8 installed, it will a) copy over the registration key, settings and will remove 4.8 in the process.

That is what I did without problem.

Get it here, http://download.cnet.com/3001-2239_4-10019223.htm.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

austinabrady

To All:
If you upgrade to Internet Security 5.0 you will be stuck in trial mode for now...
Waiting to hear from Avast.

chgoguy7

Anyone happen to know how to change the registration key after upgrading to v5.0? The 5.0 upgrade took the registration key from v4.8 but it has only a short time left and I would like to update it with a new registration key but I am unable to figure out how to do so in v5.0. The steps for doing so in v4.8 do not appear to work in v5.0.

bobo1

I am about to experiment to updating to Avast version 5 on a IBM 600e from Avast 4.8 on a old test hard drive 5gb with no important files on it + internet & see what it does if any problems will go back to normal hard drive with xp sp3 pro on 60gb. As in the forum V5 is still buggy? & see how it goes!

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
Anyone happen to know how to change the registration key after upgrading to v5.0? The 5.0 upgrade took the registration key from v4.8 but it has only a short time left and I would like to update it with a new registration key but I am unable to figure out how to do so in v5.0. The steps for doing so in v4.8 do not appear to work in v5.0.

What kind of key?

If the should be automatically got from avast GUI >> Maintanance >> Subscription :)

If converting the key of ver 4.8 which still valid, the same method would give a link to avast's site - give your valid email address when register and your valid key for v4.8. Avast shall then send you a file .license; use it with avast pro antivirus 5.

bobo1

I am experimenting/testing a small hard drive with just basic set up on it on a ibm 600e. Windows & internet + Avast 4.8 on. As there is alot of problems with version 5 i don't want to ruin my main hard drive with all my important docs & photos on it. Ie if i put version 5 on it and windows becomes broken etc. I am going to wait untill next version 5 program update to be safe for this main hard drive.

bobo1

Avast 5 is running ok on test drive see how it goes! trying all types of scans including boot scan. If i am happy will put it on main drive later.