Author Topic: blue screen of death because Avast 5  (Read 13724 times)

kingpin1966

Re: blue screen of death because Avast 5
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »
Could it be that the BSOD's are triggered because of the built-in firewall that's in the 5.0 version?
That it conflicts with the firewall of the windows OS?

Could anyone try this.

I'm experiencing bsod's too.
I'm running the "old" 4.8 now because of it.

EliyahuT

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »
Could it be that the BSOD's are triggered because of the built-in firewall that's in the 5.0 version?
That it conflicts with the firewall of the windows OS?

Could anyone try this.

I'm experiencing bsod's too.
I'm running the "old" 4.8 now because of it.

No it dosent because Im using pro version that not include firewall..

kingpin1966

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
The free version has no FW either.

So the Behaviour Shield is the culprit here would you say?

I was reading in another topic on this forum that enabling/disabling the Behaviour Shield did not cause a BSOD.

matth1j

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »
My experience with Avast free version on XP Pro (with updates):

Uninstalled Avast 4 and installed Avast 5.0.377. After logging in, just after the desktop was displayed, PC rebooted, every time. Tried uninstalling (had to use safe mode) and reinstalling, but same behavior. No opportunity to adjust Avast settings.

So I'm afraid I took the easy option and switched to another free AV.

Cheers
John

EliyahuT

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »
My experience with Avast free version on XP Pro (with updates):

Uninstalled Avast 4 and installed Avast 5.0.377. After logging in, just after the desktop was displayed, PC rebooted, every time. Tried uninstalling (had to use safe mode) and reinstalling, but same behavior. No opportunity to adjust Avast settings.

So I'm afraid I took the easy option and switched to another free AV.

Cheers
John

I switch to ESET NOD32 Antivirus with 30 days trial...
if avast will not fix that problem I will stay with ESET and buy license for it.

no_problemo

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »
 ???
Big problem with avast free v5. BSOD ! I had to uninstall-it and put back Avast 4.8 !
Do I need to post the minidump ? or the problem is known and should be fixed soon ?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:20:42 PM by no_problemo »

buttoni

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
I've experienced absolutely no problems with Avast5 Free Edition on Win7x64 machine.  Here's how I went about it:  D/l'd fresh copy and fresh copy of aswClear.exe removal tool.  In normal mode, turned off Avast's real time protection.  Rebooted into safe mode.  Uninstalled  Avast 4.8 via via Win7 Programs & Features, Uninstall.  Rebooted into safe mode and ran aswClear.exe removal tool from Alwil website to be sure there were no remnants of 4.8.  Rebooted once again into safe mode and ran Avast5 installer with no error messages.  

Rebooted into Normal mode and the Avast system tray icon came up pretty as you please without any exclamation marks.  Icon said "Your System is Secured" when moused over.  Opened GUI to tweak my settings and shields.

Maybe Safe Mode install and all those reboots between steps made a difference?  Dunno.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »
I switch to ESET NOD32 Antivirus with 30 days trial...
if avast will not fix that problem I will stay with ESET and buy license for it.
You didn't have to go extreme and switch to ESET NOD32 Trial version.
You simply had to go back to avast 4.8.

As for me?  I'm gonna wait.  I'm reading about wayyy too many BSODs for my liking.
I'm not gonna chance it.  avast 4.8 is working great on my Windows XP SP3 computer.  So, I'm just sticking with that and  am gonna wait until I read that there has been more of an official having zeroed in on THE REAL culprit and that an official Fix has been implemented.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Jeff-K

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »
Same here. I got many bsod after installing Avast 5.0 on my Vista x86.  I had to uninstall it.

Avast is the first and only antivirus/antispyware/etc... that I have installed on my computer.  I use Windows Firewall.

Jeff-K

krgoodwin

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 05:09:56 AM »
I had BSDs on two two machines with Internet Security 5 and received a new driver from avast to replace aswSP.sys in the system32 driver folder.  The new driver seems to have fixed the BSD problems.  On one machine, I got a BSD (page fault) as soon as I rebooted from the installation which forced me into the Safe Mode.  In the Safe Mode, avast isn't run so I was easily able to replace the aswSP.sys driver.  The instructions I received from avast had me disable the self-protection module but I found this step totally unnecessary.  They sent me both a 32-bit Windows and a 64-bit Windows aswSP.exe file replacement.  On the second computer, Internet Security 5 installed without a problem but over the next two days I experienced random BSDs that quickly threw me into a restart. I haven't seen BSDs since Windows 95 so suspecting the same avast problem, I replaced the aswSP driver on my second machine and I have not had any BSDs for the last two days.

faelan

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 11:19:12 AM »
I've experienced absolutely no problems with Avast5 Free Edition on Win7x64 machine.  Here's how I went about it:  D/l'd fresh copy and fresh copy of aswClear.exe removal tool.  In normal mode, turned off Avast's real time protection.  Rebooted into safe mode.  Uninstalled  Avast 4.8 via via Win7 Programs & Features, Uninstall.  Rebooted into safe mode and ran aswClear.exe removal tool from Alwil website to be sure there were no remnants of 4.8.  Rebooted once again into safe mode and ran Avast5 installer with no error messages.  

Rebooted into Normal mode and the Avast system tray icon came up pretty as you please without any exclamation marks.  Icon said "Your System is Secured" when moused over.  Opened GUI to tweak my settings and shields.

Maybe Safe Mode install and all those reboots between steps made a difference?  Dunno.

I installed Avast 5 on a brand new netbook and I experienced several blue screens.
I went back to 4.8... :-(

Jeff-K

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 04:45:49 AM »
Just to let you know... build 5.0.396 fixed my BSOD.

Thanx!
Jeff-K