Author Topic: Avast 5 requires FLASH?  (Read 10326 times)

gowiththeflow

Avast 5 requires FLASH?
« on: January 25, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »
I must admit ... when I saw this, I was a little stunted.

Edit: forgot the screenshot

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:21:23 PM by gowiththeflow »

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5 requires FLASH?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »

have a drink  ;) there will be better days  ;D

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »
Yep, for the statistics pages...

Why such a big deal though? Pretty much every pc has flash...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=49727.0

As I already said, avast! doesn't need it... it's just a cosmetic feature you can certaily live without.
(and I'm pretty sure you're wrong on that statement anyway - that no other programs use flags - but don't know about any examples right now)
Post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=49727.msg426324#msg426324

-Scott-

Offtop: Not really going with the flow then? ;D Sorry, I just had to :)

Sesame

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
This is already a classic question.  Please try to search the forum before posting.

The short answer is no.  However, if you think the graphical stats showcase is the necessity, the answer suddenly becomes yes.  Flash is only required for the stats showcase and is not required for basic function.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:31:25 PM »
Avast should definitely switch to HTML5 and OSS codec... just kidding  :D

hyjaxltd

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:43:03 PM »
I dont know how many of you get to participate in things like live reseller open-forums, but I do and can verify that pretty much every time it is on security...btw, Avast! has always received high praise when ever mentioned there...Adobe Flash; and a few other apps they improperly bully into yur OS with poor, poor developed code concerning comprimisability.

That is enough to make me ask....
Just becuase everyone else seems to be calling it a good thing  :-X doesnt always mean it is.  Awil, lets do a package that IS NOT reliant on any other apps

Me personally, Im tired of paying with my over all security for things such as this.  Thank you for addressing the ability to install OFFLINE.  Even though I love Avast I would not be purchasing the IS suite and woulda just stayed with the free.

gowiththeflow

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
Offtop: Not really going with the flow then? ;D Sorry, I just had to :)

Lol it's a bare bone VM for crying out loud.

This is already a classic question.  Please try to search the forum before posting.

I did - typed "flash" in the search box and pressed enter. I didn't notice anything relevant. May be you'll have better luck? http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=search2

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 05:01:07 PM »
I don't quite understand the issue, flash is a requirement of many things, even security things...(secunia) so I don't think that this is an issue...and anyway, if you feel unsecure with it, then remove it...the statistics are not important to the function of avast! it is just a cosmetic thing, which it the point of flash anyway.

I found the thread I referenced by using that method, searching 'flash'...it was the 6th result, but then I suppose I kinda knew what I was looking for...

gowiththeflow

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
I don't quite understand the issue, flash is a requirement of many things, even security things...(secunia) so I don't think that this is an issue...

There wasn't an issue, but I guess I was stunted because avast chose to use only flash to display statistics, and won't even consider displaying static info when flash is not available ...

Are those eye-candies that essential to the information presentation?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 05:29:07 PM »
Yes, I don't think there is another way of viewing them...i.e. it can't without flash...

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 05:58:33 PM »
Even with Secunia PSI, which I do use, Flash is only required to show the graph that displays the percentage of patched programs week to week.  Note that Flash (ActiveX version) for IE is needed.  Flash for Gecko and other browsers won't suffice.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

zerospam

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 07:30:11 PM »
Using Flash is a "big deal" because it puts Flash within Avast's security perimeter. Consider that Avast must run with administrative privileges, which means, in turn, that Flash embedded within an Avast application also runs with administrative privileges [1]. Thus, an attacker probably can use an exploitable Flash bug to gain administrative privileges.

Also, since Flash is (by default) a network-enabled application, using it within Avast increases the likelihood that a network-based attack will penetrate Flash and, by extension, Avast.

Finally, good security practice dictates minimizing the amount of privileged code.

[1] Unless Avast uses special techniques to run it in a nonprivileged context. Developers: does it?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:33:05 PM by zerospam »

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »
still waiting from someone to report he had an infection because of the embedding of flash in Avast5  ;D

zerospam

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »
still waiting from someone to report he had an infection because of the embedding of flash in Avast5  ;D
It's the rare victim who knows how her system got infected. I hope that your post does not represent the attitude of the Avast development team.

Hermite15

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »
still waiting from someone to report he had an infection because of the embedding of flash in Avast5  ;D
It's the rare victim who knows how her system got infected. I hope that your post does not represent the attitude of the Avast development team.

don't know what group of people you represent when you launch fake alarms on the potential risks with Flash in Avast  ::) ...I dare you to come back here in 3 years and tell me about someone whose system got infected that way. This will be a fantastic occasion to prove your point. You think the avast team is not aware of Flash Player vulnerabilities ? and they would have taken a chance to put V5 users' systems at risk with that, are you serious?

ps: Avast5 isn't a browser  8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:54:53 PM by Logos »