Author Topic: Is PeerBlock the new PeerGuardian....  (Read 4001 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Is PeerBlock the new PeerGuardian....
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Blacklisting can be used for a lot of purposes and PeerGuardian was a program that could be used in combination with P2P programs like Bittorrent, the former Azureus, etc. but it has been now long discontinued.
I post about this because I found information that led me to believe that the very NetNeutrality regulations proposed now will be used to outright block P2P-ing even if it is for legit/legal content. Yes even for deep linking you will have to switch to Baidu as a search-engine, in the end it will no longer be tolerated. Just like Australian lawmakers have now even adopted a blacklist for images of the contents of a bra-A-size, it could give the viewer "the wrong idea", so the going will be more and more narrow...new Victorian times to come to the Internet near you...
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/01/eff-bittorrent-blocking-legalized-by-net-neutrality-rules.ars
Now that the development and support for PeerGuardian stopped the new program to be used  is PeerBlock: http://www.peerblock.com/

Here we have to bring to attention that P2P is frowned upon, especially by the Big Content Industry, that will lobby on for stricter and stricter regulations of content-access...
there is already one ISP in the States that will end a user account when abuse is being reported and abuse persists.
Then there is always the risk that sites are being contaminated with malcode and these activities could lead to your computer being compromised, so forewarned is forearmed

polonus
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:42:10 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Go Pack Go

Re: Is PeerBlock the new PeerGuardian....
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 02:15:34 AM »
I've been using PeerBlock since it came out, it's just like PeerGuardian except in development and works on Vista/7 and 64-bit.